Wednesday bread day: four-seed multigrain

May 7, 2008 | By | Comments (6)

4seedbread_2
If you read my earlier post, you know I bake bread once a week and bring some into the office. Well, this week’s loaf was another experiment in wholesale recipe-robbery. Big Sky Bread Company here in Birmingham makes a delicious three-seed whole-wheat bread which I decided last week I wanted to copy.

But me being me (and because flaxseed was on sale at Publix yesterday), I had to one-up them. So where Big Sky uses sesame, poppy, and sunflower seeds, I added flax. And where they use only whole-wheat flour, I added rye. It made for a nutty, hearty bread that would be fantastic for a turkey sandwich. It could use a little sweetness, so next time I’ll add some honey. All in all, quite good. It’s almost 4 pm and my coworkers haven’t completely devoured the whole thing yet, but I have gotten three complimentary e-mails. Four out of five stars.

Anybody have a suggestion for next week?

COMMENTS

1. Dana

But me being me (and because flaxseed was on sale at Publix yesterday

February 19, 2011 at 2:15 am
  2. UGG Bailey Button

It’s a Very helpful article for me. Actually, I am fond of reading online punjabi news. Thanks for writing such a complete ..And,I wantn’t to miss them.
    Thank you for sharing..

January 3, 2011 at 11:36 pm
  3. Alison

I too make bread about once a week. How about making a dark pumpernickel with raisins or something with carraway seeds as a component?
    I’ll be checking back in for sure!

May 10, 2008 at 8:01 pm
  4. Jason

Sarah, I don’t use a bread maker (don’t have one), but here’s the basic recipe I use for sourdough (because the yeasts work slower, it takes longer than bread made with packaged yeast):
    • Combine 1/4 cup water, 1/4 cup flour, and about 2 tablespoons starter. Cover and let sit 8-12 hours (I do this Monday night before I go to bed).
    • Add 1/2 cup flour and 1/2 cup water. Cover and let sit 8-12 hours more (I do this Tuesday morning before work).
    • Add 2 cups water, about 1 tablespoon kosher salt, and any flavorings (herbs/nuts/seeds/chocolate/etc.). Stir in flour with electric mixer until dough is no longer sticky, 4 to 8 cups, depending on humidity and other ingredients. (I do this around 8 pm Tuesday night).
    • Let dough rest 2-3 hours, then split in half. Form each half into a loaf and let rise overnight.
    • Preheat oven to 425° F, and bake 40-45 minutes.

May 8, 2008 at 3:19 pm
  5. Sarah

Jason – long ago I used to make this onion dill bread. It was fantastic. I no longer have the recipe but I remember it called for sour cream and cottage cheese I think… it was moist and oh so good. I’d love to “whip” up bread every week. Perhaps you’ll inspire me to do it. I’d like to do it w/o the bread maker… got any good recipes to get started with?

May 8, 2008 at 3:00 pm
  6. Emily Begnaud

Jason! Share some bread with your downstairs neighbors :)

May 8, 2008 at 2:15 pm