Wonderful Pomegranates

October 2, 2008 | By | Comments (8)

Great news – the Wonderful pomegranate is back. “Wonderful” is actually the name of the variety most commonly found in North America.

These fantastical fruits can pop up in early fall, but the choice ones–red, ripe, and heavy with juice–grace shelves October through January.

Kiwi_024_3I have always loved pomegranates; they look like science fiction and taste like juicy Sweetarts. They also pack a nice dose of vitamin C, potassium, and antioxidants.

Each pomegranate is made up of an outer membrane surrounding hundreds of jewel-like juice-filled sacks called arils. Each aril contains a tiny, edible seed. In recipes, the aril and seed are collectively referred to as seeds.

Pomegranates have gotten a bad rap over the years as being messy and difficult to work with. It is true that the brilliant magenta juice stains easily, but this simple trick of the trade will minimize any fuss:

Fill a large bowl with water and place it in the sink. Hold a washed pomegranate under the surface of the water and cut it in half with a paring knife. Using your fingers, gently pull away a piece of the outer membrane to expose the arils underneath.

Gently rub the arils with the tip of your thumb – they will easily release from the membrane and sink to the bottom of the bowl. Continue this process, and after about 5 minutes you will have a bowl full of ready-to-eat pomegranate seeds and not one juice stain.  Discard the pieces of outer membrane and drain the water through a strainer to collect the seeds.

Pomegranate seeds are great for eating out of hand, sprinkling on salads and desserts, or juicing for anything from champagne cocktails to a ruby glaze for pork.

If you have never treated yourself to a fresh pomegranate, now is the time!

____________________________________________________

COMMENTS

1. NBA jerseys

Great idea! Love seeing a creative mind work and gain success!!!!!! Hope it continues to grow!

November 11, 2011 at 8:21 pm
  2. Peter Green

I am like it very much…And it will be a nice post..Can I have a try ?

January 17, 2011 at 11:18 pm
  3. Burgundy Wine

When I was young I though the cool thing was to get drunk on strong liquor. Now I try to avoid getting drunk, but I do love the warm feeling a couple of glasses of wine give me. Two Burgundy wine glasses give me an amazing feeling of happiness, like I was floating and it sends me in a delicious trip. Now to mention how it makes my wife and me so hot for each other we can barely take it. We just want to rip each other clothes off.

April 13, 2009 at 7:28 am
  4. Healthy Juices

After having loved the mango juice so much, I looked up nutritional information about the mango, and turns out it makes up very healthy juices. For example mango juice, as do most of all juices drinks, has not so many calories, zero fat, a little sugar and carbohydrates to give me an energy boost, and it is filled with Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin B, Potassium and many other important nutrients. Juices drinks have a lot more nutritional value than the regular coke I would drink or any carbonated drink.

April 12, 2009 at 11:35 pm
  5. Beth Beres

Love Pom’s I just wish there was an easy way to get all the seeds out

December 20, 2008 at 5:19 pm
  6. Kathryn

Fun Joe!
    For those who aren’t familiar with Joe’s reference, according to Greek mytholology Hades (ruler of the underworld) kidnapped Persephone (the daughter of Zeus) and took her to down to Hell. While she was there, Hades tricked Persephone into eating a few pomegranate seeds; for each seed she ate, Persephone has to remain in Hell as Hades’ queen for one month per year.
    Every year when Persephone descends into Hell, winter comes. When she emerges – tada! – spring arrives.

October 8, 2008 at 8:47 am
  7. Joe

And that thing about being stuck in Hell if you eat a few seeds — Don’t worry about it; it’s just a myth.

October 8, 2008 at 12:50 am
  8. Cindy at Muse in the Kitchen

I’ve only tried pomegranate once and it was really, really tart. I think I got a bad one. I’ll have to try one again.

October 7, 2008 at 2:15 pm