Many Uses for Leftover Hummus

March 25, 2009 | By | Comments (14)

Traditionalhummusck1853926x
The other night I had friends over for dinner and one of them brought some pita bread and hummus for us to nibble on as I cooked.  As she left, I tried to send the hummus home with her, but her response was, “No, you keep it. I don’t think I’ll eat it.”

I couldn’t comprehend the statement! Hummus has more uses than you can shake a carrot stick at.

Hummus can be more than just a party dip or appetizer — you’ve just got to think outside the pita.    It’s no secret that hummus makes a fine complement to just about any fresh vegetable.  (My favorite is baby carrots.)  It also makes an excellent spread for  sandwiches, wraps, or paninis.   If meat is a must, think California Club: toast some whole wheat bread and top with turkey, bacon, avocado, sprouts, and tomatoes–but replace the mayo with hummus.  I like to spread it on warm flatbread with grilled zucchini and yellow squash, tomatoes, and feta (you could even tuck some leftover tabbouleh in there).

Recently I used extra hummus to replace eggs as a binder in mini
chicken burgers that I served with mango chutney as part of a tapas
spread.  I sautéed about ¼ cup each of celery and red onion and mixed
it with a pound of ground chicken, ¼ cup hummus, 3 tablespoons
breadcrumbs, some Indian spices, and fresh herbs.  I formed the mix into little patties and  pan-fried them in a skillet with a little oil.  They were moist and delicious.   If you like to improvise, get creative with the spices and herbs to suit your taste.

Hummus is just a good thing to have on hand — as an easy dip to offer to unexpected company, a quick and healthy snack, and a great complement for many other leftover foods.   Whatever the use, I love that garlicky tang and definitely won’t let it go to waste!

Making your own hummus is easy. I make my hummus with a combination of equal-parts chickpeas and
cannellini beans; I think it creates the perfect blend of flavor and
texture. Try our Traditional Hummus recipe, which has three additional variations: Feta-Baked Hummus, Spicy Red Pepper Hummus, and White Bean and Roasted Garlic Hummus.

COMMENTS

1. Free Web Directories Links

Your blog is absolutely fantastic. Good work.Regards.

February 8, 2013 at 4:01 am
  2. Ben

Hummus is great when youre sick because its so creamy it wont irritate the throat and the garlic, chili, olive oil and lemonjuice will all help to open nostrils and smooth the inflammated passegeways.

April 19, 2012 at 5:10 pm
  3. red bull caps

This is a great blog document and much needed in ensuring that projects lead to value. It would be of great help to have some generic examples of benefit maps etc included in the guideline. I have red bull caps just started out in the benefits management areana, find it very useful, but am still finding my feet on the practical application.

March 31, 2012 at 2:21 am
  4. discount jerseys

I really like this website , and hope you will write more ,thanks a lot for your information.

July 22, 2011 at 3:14 am
  5. bast

No matter how little chocolate there is in the milk, to most people it’s still chocolate milk

May 9, 2011 at 3:08 am
  6. dell laptop battery

April 26, 2011 at 2:04 am
  7. Catherine

It was great to see all eight episodes in one go – really looking forward to finding out what happens when a live person crosses over.

March 21, 2011 at 1:59 am
  8. Heaven

Please tell me what are you doing? I am so tried that I can’t to look your post ….Just tell me .

January 12, 2011 at 1:35 am
  9. Tim

I love all these ideas! I am a meat and potatoes guy trying to eat healthy. I love hummus dip and I figured there was some other ways I could use it besides dipping my favorite warm pita bread in it! Thank you sooo much!

October 4, 2010 at 5:32 pm
  10. Nessabug

A friend of mine owns an amazing vegetarian eatery where she makes the BEST portobello & hummus burger ever! I replicated it myself & it wasn’t too hard. You simply thickly slice a few portobellos (or whatever mushrooms you have on hand), and sauté them in a bit of olive oil until they soften and begin to brown. Then serve them on a whole wheat burger bun spread with a thick layer of hummus and topped with lettuce, tomatoes, onions, and whatever other burger “fixins” you like. It’s divine!
    P.S. Thanks Kris for the idea! =)

August 10, 2010 at 10:12 pm
  11. Melissa

I love hummus sandwitches, but I also use it to:
    1. thicken soups
    2. Replace mayo in tuna salad ect
    3. Hummus wraps/Grills/Pizza
    4. (Good for kids), hummus with spaghetti
    5. Layering with vegetables
    Hope this helped :) x

December 7, 2009 at 8:54 am
  12. Keila G.

I luv pita bread and had recently discovered the whole wheat ones(from “Trader Joe`s”)and enjoy serving them the most with my best, Any-Occasion Low Calories Guacamole Salad dip.

August 26, 2009 at 4:26 pm
  13. Caroline Ford

Thanks! How about updating old party appetizers by replacing cream cheese with hummus? In layered dips- just change the other layers to complement the hummus. Or in tortilla cream cheese roll-ups? Add some spinach and chopped roasted red pepper.

April 30, 2009 at 7:25 am
  14. b

I really like your suggestions. Do you have any more uses for hummus?

April 29, 2009 at 6:29 am