Virtual Supper Club — Taste of Spring

March 15, 2010 | By | Comments (11)

Shelby-zucchini-couscous This Saturday marks the beginning of spring (finally!) and I could not be more excited. Along with the warmer weather and longer days come fresh new flavors and spring produce of which the Virtual Supper Club bloggers took advantage for the month of March.

Aggie, who brought a simple Spring Giardiniera veggie dish describes the season perfectly: "What I love most about spring is the feeling of freshness it brings. Open windows, pleasant temperatures, lots of new fruits and vegetables, I just want to be outside all the time. And for me, all of this goes hand in hand with eating lighter and fresher."

The five bloggers celebrated this beautiful time of year with a magnificent, holiday-worthy "Taste of Spring" feast featuring a sweet and refreshing salad; fresh, colorful sides; a satisfying entrée; and a delightful dessert made with fresh fruit. I hope their menu inspires you as much as it has me.

March 2010: Taste of Spring Menu

"I served the crunchy pickled veggies at a get together and they were quite a hit.  I continued to snack on them for days afterwards…especially right around that time of day right before dinner when I notice I tend to snack “mindlessly” on things that are probably not so good for me.  I put a plate of this on the counter while I was cooking and it definitely did the trick."

"I personally loved this dish. My son Christopher enjoyed it also."

"The sweetness of the strawberries along with the crunch of the lettuce and toasted almonds is, well, literally, a taste of spring.  The poppy seed dressing is also on the sweet side which goes perfectly in this salad."

"For me, just hearing the word Spring, turns my thoughts to lamb. In real time my daughter and friends came to dinner and we enjoyed the ultimate Rosemary-Crusted Rack of Lamb With Balsamic Sauce
 found in Cooking Light magazine. I will make it time and time again with its crisp bread crumb coating."

"For our Supper Club I baked a delicious Raspberry Almond Crumb Cake from Cooking Light. I had made this cake in the past and did use blueberries instead of raspberries. It was really good also."

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Join the club! If you'd like to become an honorary member of the Virtual Supper Club, blog about a recipe that fits the theme, then send us an email or leave a comment here with a link to your post.

We'd like to welcome our newest honorary members:

Sandi of Whistlestop Cafe Cooking made an appetizer of Pancetta Crisps with Pear.

COMMENTS

1. Hanna

I love spring, it’s showers that bring the taste of fresh, delicious spring fruits and vegetables to neighborhoods and communities.

July 21, 2011 at 3:27 am
  2. Steven

I prefer appetizer that will satisfy your fresh food urges. A graceful smear of minted pea puree is topped with white and green asparagus, seared leeks, fingerling potatoes, peas, haricots verts, quail eggs and a sprinkling of frisee.

July 21, 2011 at 3:06 am
  3. tee are

i love Spring where the vegetables is fresh and good for food

July 14, 2010 at 10:39 pm
  4. Olivia

Great blog!!
    That looks good I think I will have to try it someday!!
    Thanks for sharing it!!

May 17, 2010 at 10:06 am
  5. Shelina Ishani

Great blog. Love the whole light cooking concept. Check out my blog at http://www.coolmamablog.com for great tips on decreasing fat in your cooking and for great recipes.
    Shelina Ishani

April 3, 2010 at 5:14 pm
  6. Melange a Trois

Something about a zucchini ribbon really does it for me. I love spring and all the tasty veggies at my farmer’s market!

March 25, 2010 at 11:16 pm
  7. bellini valli

Hey Sandy,
    Our supper club group develops themes and collaborates with each other to create a delicious meal from the pages of Cooking Light magazine each month. If yoy are interested in participating you can make whatever you like and once Mallory posts her monthly writeup please comment in her post with a link to your own post. If you have friends that would like to join in they should make whatever they like that would fit in with the theme from a starter to dessert and post it here.
    As the idea grows it would be too difficult to coordinate with everyone interested. We hope you continue to enjoy participating.
    Warmest Wishes,
    Valerie

March 20, 2010 at 8:52 am
  8. Kim Hart Macneill

One way I manage to eat organic is to shop the local farmer’s market late in the day. Many sellers reduce their produce to avoid dragging it back with them at the end of the day.

March 18, 2010 at 10:21 am
  9. Amber

I LOVE spring! Spring is in the air- and so is fragrant fruits and vegetables!

March 17, 2010 at 6:47 pm
  10. Aggie

Spring is delicious! :)

March 15, 2010 at 4:48 pm
  11. Shelby

Loving that Spring is right around the corner and all the great food opportunities it brings! :)

March 15, 2010 at 4:44 pm