Freebie Friday: Summer Isn't Over!

August 20, 2010 | By | Comments (71)

Tomatobowl-0808p92-l Last week, we challenged those seeking free loot to tell us
about their favorite quick and easy recipes. So many people came back with
great tips and recipe ideas. Perfect weeknight recipes have these
things in common: quick is a must, versatility is a great added bonus, and adding some sort of
convenience product gets you there even faster.

Our winner, Megan Schlegel, had this to say (and made me want to partake):

“My quick and easy recipe is grilled margarita pizza. I use
wonderful store-bought herb pizza dough, tomatoes and basil from my garden and
mozzarella cheese. The crust is nice and crisp and the tomatoes and basil are
lightly covered in melty, gooey, cheesy goodness. Tastes like summer!”

What could be more convenient than grabbing half your
ingredients from the backyard? Kudos to all who manage to combine
convenience food (store-bought pizza dough, rotisserie chicken) with fresh
produce to make easy meals that are healthy, too.

What Megan really taught me: Summer isn’t over! We should
embrace every bite of juicy, sweet garden-ripe tomatoes while we have them. At every turn it’s back-to-school this and back-to-school that. I think I even saw some Christmas stuff going up at my local mall. Really? Let's stop and enjoy every last morsel of what summer has to offer.

Seasons Cover This week we’ll be giving away a copy of Cooking Through
the Seasons
in honor of this most noble cause. This book features recipes from
all four seasons, so it inspires year-long love affairs with seasonal
ingredients. To be eligible win a free copy, follow along here:

Step 1: “Like” us on Facebook (use
the Facebook box to the right and click “Like” if you don’t already like us).

Step 2: Describe for us here in 50 words or less your
favorite end of summer recipe
. Entries should be typed into the comments field
of this blog post. Entries are due by Monday, August 23 at 11:59 a.m. EST.

Editors will select their favorite based on originality,
creativity, and how well you address our question. Winner will be notified via
email by August 26, 2010. For full contest rules, click here.

1008p123-hot-hot-tomato-salad-lP.S.: I plan on diving into the last days of summer with a standout from our August issue: Hot and Hot Tomato Salad. Heirloom tomatoes, sweet corn, smoky bacon, fried okra, and fresh peas. Enough said.

COMMENTS

1. perfect battery

My admired summer compound is my mother’s burning refigerator pickles. Thinly allotment raw cucumbers and onion add according genitalia of cider vinegar, amoroso and baptize to cover, abode in fridge and adore afterwards a minimum of 4 hours. This reminds me of the candied aftertaste of home, we had these on the table at every meal all summer long.

September 16, 2010 at 11:00 pm
  2. Christie

My husband is not a big fish eater, but I LOVE it. I’m a runner and we live in FL so often times, even though I’m starving after I run, I can’t bring myself to eat anything heavy due to the intense heat. I love and often crave a protein packed dinner of fish. The solution? Pan seared Tialpia w/ a frsh fruit salsa! The Tilapia is seasoned lightly w/salt and pepper and is mild enough that the hubby will eat it. The fruit salsa is finely diced strawberries, kiwi and pineapple. Had a tblsp or two of basalmic vinegar and chopped cilantro and voila! A refreshing dinner that pleases both of our pallets!

August 24, 2010 at 11:00 am
  3. Heather

Salsa made with tomatoes and peppers from the garden can only be improved by the sweetness of late-summer corn, crunchy red onion, the softness of black beans, a touch of garlic, and some sassy cilantro. So many textures and healthful flavors, my husband and I can’t help but to eat this by the bucket.

August 23, 2010 at 4:25 pm
  4. karen

I love to saute fresh corn kernels in a generous amount of garlic (use the pre-minced for convenience) and some olive oil. Season with salt–it’s that quick, easy and delish. Make a double batch and use the leftovers in a variety of salads–side/green, pasta, entree (e.g. Nicoise, Cobb), Tex-Mex with black bean, cilantro, cherry tomatoes, and cilantro.

August 23, 2010 at 2:28 pm
  5. Claire

My favorite go to quick and easy dinner meal is stirfry because it is versatile and it’s easy to mix up the ingredients so you don’t get bored with having the same meal over and over again. How I do it:
    Chop up my favorite veggies (it’s also a good way to use up vegetables from your fridge). I like sugar snap pea pods, broccoli, carrots, zucchini, cauliflower
    Then I always add in a little protein (tofu or shrimp, chicken if you like)
    I add lots of garlic for flavor, and put a dash of soy sauce in the vegetable mix for extra deliciousness.
    I even make some grains to mix with the stirfry. (I like quinoa, rice, barley, couscous, or even rice noodles)
    The best part about this meal is that it is quick, easy, nutritious, and is really well balanced!

August 23, 2010 at 10:55 am
  6. Elise

My favorite summer treat is homemade peach ice cream! I simply make vanilla ice cream and stir in a few cups of diced peaches and a couple of cups of pureed peach.

August 23, 2010 at 10:37 am
  7. Katie

Grilled kabobs- great outdoor meal that friends/family can help prepare! Chicken, steak or shrimp (or all 3) paired with local veggies like peppers, onions, zucchini and squash. Fresh pineapple and baby red potatoes are a must! Marinate meat, microwave potatoes until soft in spicy seasoning, put on skewers and grill!

August 23, 2010 at 10:17 am
  8. Katie

August 23, 2010 at 10:14 am
  9. Katie

August 23, 2010 at 10:14 am
  10. Elana

Tomato, cucumber and cheese sandwich. Simple, but the best of summer sandwiches. I also like to blend mayo, basil, garlic and a little olive oil together for a pesto mayo to enjoy with the sandwich.

August 23, 2010 at 9:00 am
  11. serena

A simple bruschetta made with some seriously good late summer tomatoes and drizzled in a little oil is really all you need :)

August 23, 2010 at 5:39 am
  12. Lisa

I love a tomato slice on top of bread and topped with mozzarella and basil. Mmm.

August 22, 2010 at 11:55 pm
  13. Heidi

The end of summer is more bearable when peaches are so ripe you can smell the sweet, juiciness of them while they’re still on the tree or from half way across the produce section. My family’s warm, juicy and flaky Peach Cobbler recipe is the best summer send off.

August 22, 2010 at 10:50 pm
  14. KarinskaNH

We grill pretty much every day all summer long, even in the rain! Tomatoes and herbs are the superstars of our pots on the deck, and we love to start a meal with fresh tomato bruschetta. Fresh picked oregano and basil, chopped tomatoes warm from the sun with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, a slice of fresh mozzarella or other artisan cheese from the farmers market, heaped on grilled toast rubbed with garlic. Every bite is summer personified.

August 22, 2010 at 10:38 pm
  15. Lindsay

My favorite easy summer recipe is something my husband came up with- basically either on a grill or under the broiler cook chicken breasts on each side for approx. 3 min, then top with fresh, diced tomato, fresh basil or cilantro, crumbled feta, and balsamic vinegar to taste, broil an additional 5-6 min until cooked through. Super tasty!

August 22, 2010 at 10:35 pm
  16. singformi

I’ve been a Cooking Light subscriber since it began…and I LIVE with that magazine! My husband says it’s the family bible! I guess I am always Cooking Light: thru the seasons! :)

August 22, 2010 at 9:14 pm
  17. Tracey

I love CL and my favorite recipes come from there!

August 22, 2010 at 8:22 pm
  18. Annamarie Dodge

I would love to receive your cooking thru the seasons cookbook…i love cooking light and have been a fan for years. my favourite end of summer recipe is my family’s favourite dish of spiced squash, it is a great way to get finicky kids to eat veggies while thinking they are actually eating dessert

August 22, 2010 at 8:17 pm
  19. Kerrey Reyes

I love fresh tomatoes, fresh cucumber, onions, sour cream, and dill. It’s perfect as a side, or as a light lunch!

August 22, 2010 at 8:17 pm
  20. Emily Jelassi

I love Cooking Light. My family loves the end of summer. We grill everything from meat and poultry to fruit and vegetables. And no one even wonders whether the food is healthy or not…it tastes that good.

August 22, 2010 at 7:53 pm
  21. Eileen

I have fixed super simple Caprese salad every night for the last week! Slice tomoatoes, add a slice of fresh mozzarella, a basil leaf, and some low fat balsamic viniagrette. Adding avocado slices makes a good change of pace as well.

August 22, 2010 at 7:51 pm