Freebie Friday: Ode to the Grill

September 3, 2010 | By | Comments (18)

Oh3157p134-grill-m It's Friday. But not just any Friday. It's the Friday before a long weekend, and not just any long weekend. The end-of-summer, cram-in-the-fun Labor Day weekend. We think that calls for one thing: some quality time with family, friends, and your grill.

Grilling indoors and out can and should be enjoyed all year long, but there's something about the summer that makes me want to throw everything on the grill.

Waytogrill-cover-mr-gallery-xOne of my favorite grilling cookbooks is Weber's Way to Grill by the talented Jamie Purviance. The tagline reads: "Everything a griller wants to know," and man does it deliver. My favorite chapter covers grilling vegetables and sides. From expected corn on the cob to nontraditional recipes for tofu, carrots, fennel, and broccoli on the grill, Jamie inspires.

With grilling on our minds, this week we’ll be giving away a copy of Weber's Way to Grill. To be eligible to win a free copy, follow along here:

Step 1: “Like” us on Facebook (use the Facebook box to the right and click “Like” if you don’t already like us).

Step 2: Describe for us here in 50 words or less your favorite grilling recipe. Entries should be typed into the comments field of this blog post. Entries are due by Monday, September 6 at 11:59 p.m. EST.

Editors will select their favorite based on originality, creativity, and how well you address our question. Winner will be notified via email by September 9, 2010. For full contest rules, click here.

For a sampling of Jamie's Way to Grill, visit MyRecipes.com

P.S.: Last week's winner of Freebie Friday was Rick B. We love his response to our question: "how you use your favorite kitchen gadget?"

"Mixer, grinder, mortar & pestle, knives, tongs, slicers, flipper, stirrer, lifter, things for adding and things for taking stuff out….nothing is as great as my 5 year old when she pulls up a stool 'next side me' and asks how she can help. It puts a spring in my step."

That put a spring in my step, too. Thanks, Rick.

COMMENTS

1. Backyard Bum

You can’t beat sliders on the grill! Some lean ground beef chopped onions, favorite seasonings – mix press and grill! Simple as that. Then spruce them up with bacon, bleu cheese or BBQ sauce. My mouth is watering!

March 27, 2012 at 9:57 am
  2. Deals2net

I really like your blog

November 11, 2011 at 12:54 am
  3. Red Bull Hats

I really like the fresh blog you did on the issue. Really was not expecting that when I started off studying.

October 10, 2011 at 2:14 am
  4. wholsale battery

our summertime temperatures about hover in the high 90s, I adulation to use my barbecue as an oven for baking quick breads and cobblers. I calefaction the barbecue to the all-important temperature, and again about-face off all the burners except one. I put the baking pans on a cookie sheet, put them central the bankrupt grill, and circle them bisected way through the affable time. They appear out great! My abode stays cool, and I get to adore summer’s bounty.

September 16, 2010 at 10:53 pm
  5. Cindy Merino

I par-boil ribs in a mixture of beer and liquid smoke, throw them on the grill to char, baste with bar-be-que sauce, and serve with creamy cilantro/lime/avocado slaw.

September 7, 2010 at 5:19 pm
  6. Btrflywmn

I love to marinate rib eyes and tritips with weber black peppercorn seasoning overnight and grill.

September 6, 2010 at 11:42 am
  7. Lisa

Grilled Pizza! So easy, delicious, fun, and unexpected. It will please EVERYONE. Make or buy the dough. Toppings can be as simple or as complex as you want. It tastes like it came from a wood-burning oven! Can’t wait to try Jamie’s recipe

September 4, 2010 at 1:59 pm
  8. Rhonda

My favorite grill recipe is griled flank steak!!! I marinate it in a soy sauce type marinade all day. While it marinates and gets all happy I dream about it – haha! My husband grills it to medium doneness on the ends and more rare in the middle over charcoal. YUM!!! I think I’m gonna have to put it on the menu now!

September 3, 2010 at 11:51 pm
  9. hima

Shrimp, parsley, lemon zest, garlic, Tabasco, cayenne. Brine shrimp in salt and sugar. Drain shrimp; mix with remaining ingredients. Thread on skewers and grill over high heat 5-6 minutes. Delicious!

September 3, 2010 at 11:18 pm
  10. Jill R.

I love to grill pizza. Homemade dough, oiled and grilled on one side, then topped on that side with tomato sauce, caramelized onions and peppers, garlic, basil, mozza, and feta, and grilled on the other side. The best!

September 3, 2010 at 6:28 pm
  11. Wenonah

My favorite recipe is sweet fresh corn on the cob! Soak them, still husked, for at least 30 mins before grilling. Then put them on the barby and turn a couple times. When the outside husk is charred and there are nice grill marks, it’s time to dig in, mmmYUM! Just don’t burn your mouth in your enthusiasm to chomp down!

September 3, 2010 at 5:27 pm
  12. Michelle C.

My absolute favorite dish to cook on the grill is cabbage! Get tin foil, put in nappa cabbage, onions, potatoes, and wait for it…big red smokies. Let it grill for an hour to 90 min depending on the desired tenderness. Top with a dollop of grey poupon.

September 3, 2010 at 2:32 pm
  13. William Mol

My favorite Grill Recipe is dry rubbed Rib Eye with Bearnaise Sauce, roasted fingerling potatoes and a simple salad. In the glass I like a nice Red Zinfandel

September 3, 2010 at 2:31 pm
  14. Mary Jean Renstrom

Because our summertime temperatures typically hover in the upper 90s, I love to use my grill as an oven for baking quick breads and cobblers. I heat the grill to the necessary temperature, and then turn off all the burners except one. I put the baking pans on a cookie sheet, put them inside the closed grill, and rotate them half way through the cooking time. They come out great! My house stays cool, and I get to enjoy summer’s bounty.

September 3, 2010 at 1:21 pm
  15. Kat

An actual “grilled” grill cheese sandwich with thick crusty bread and tomatoes. Throw in some prosciutto from some crispy saltiness, it cooks faster than bacon. Yum! I’m going to go make one now.

September 3, 2010 at 1:16 pm
  16. Valerie Vander Berg

I love grilled portabella mushroom marinated in olive oil, balsamic vinegar and herbs. Sometimes I top them with grilled peppers & onions and serve them whole. Sometimes I slice them up and put them in a pita pocket with fresh veggies and a potent garlic aioli. Fresh, summery, and light!

September 3, 2010 at 12:21 pm
  17. Nancy Speicher

My favorite grill recipes is for burgers. I mix ketchup and mustard (jarred not dry) with the ground beef. Gives the burgers a good flavor and keeps them moist. You can add other seasonings and stuff like onions too if you like.

September 3, 2010 at 12:16 pm
  18. Lauren Christine.

my favorite recipe to make on the grill is GRILLED PIZZA! i change up the toppings based on what I have in the fridge, but last night i made one with grilled eggplant, tomato, onion, spinach, mozzarella and goat cheese. the grill always cooks the crust perfectly and gives it a really nice flavor.

September 3, 2010 at 12:12 pm