Breaking the Fast

September 26, 2010 | By | Comments (10)

Images

Last Saturday I observed Yom Kippur, the most important holiday on the Jewish calendar. Normally I enjoy Jewish holidays—a time to see friends and family, to reminisce, and (perhaps the most revered Jewish tradition) to eat. On Yom Kippur, however, we fast. Twenty-four hours with no food and no water.

For a foodie like myself, this may as well be a death sentence. I hope to have a career where I am required to think about food every waking second of the day (not that I don’t do that already).  A whole day without sustenance, not to mention standing and sitting for almost eight consecutive hours of prayer, didn’t exactly make me look forward to the weekend.

I’m not the first one to be discomforted by this. Google any commentary on the High Holy Days and you're bound to see many message boards by fellow angry Jews wondering why they must skip meals. “We’re supposed to be thinking about repentance,” they say, but how can we focus when all we think about is being hungry?”

I think that’s the idea, in a way: to completely stop your normal routine, to take the time you would have spent preparing and eating a meal and do something entirely different. The service was actually really beautiful, and I didn’t ache with hunger so much as feel a little more tired by the end of the day.

Still, the meal to break the fast was welcome. My family and I ate Poulet de Cous Cous, a recipe from Claudia Roden’s Book of Jewish Food (above). A whole chicken simmered in a Moroccan-spiced broth rich with butternut squash, potatoes, okra, zucchini, and spinach restored me completely. If you have to fast for any reason, I recommend this as a first meal. It’s protein rich, easy on your stomach, warm and comforting. Our unfortunate friends who broke the fast at a nearby Mexican restaurant would probably agree.

Hearty chicken soup, what we jokingly call “Jewish Penicillin,” is the ultimate restorative. Try this recipe for Chicken Soup with Matzo Balls or this Chicken-Orzo Soup.       Chicken-soup-ck-1924677-l

COMMENTS

1. real Estate agencies

Hi! I’ve been following your weblog for a long time now and finally got the courage to go ahead and give you a shout out from Porter Texas! Just wanted to mention keep up the fantastic job!

July 28, 2013 at 7:39 am
  2. Stephania

Hi! This is kind of off topic but I need some guidance from an established blog.
    Is it very hard to set up your own blog? I’m not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty fast. I’m
    thinking about setting up my own but I’m not sure where to begin. Do you have any ideas or suggestions? Cheers

April 10, 2013 at 1:57 am
  3. Spiritual gifts

I love Jewish food. I need a recipe of this. It looks delicious.-spiritual gifts

September 30, 2011 at 1:11 pm
  4. custom essays

very interesting article! I will follow your themes.
    Can I subscribe to your posts on Twitter or on your Facebook profile?

June 25, 2011 at 1:57 am
  5. essay papers

hey the soup sounds delicious doesn’t it :P

May 6, 2011 at 12:42 am
  6. Mortgage Refinance

The post is really an informative one. I have learned some valuable thing over here. Many many thanks for sharing such a nice post.

January 7, 2011 at 6:54 am
  7. UGG Bailey Button

It’s a Very helpful article for me. Actually, I am fond of reading online punjabi news. Thanks for writing such a complete ..And,I wantn’t to miss them.
    Thank you for sharing..

January 3, 2011 at 4:59 am
  8. Roger

A word to the wise on Fogo, we do the appetizing food thing for a reason: it’s nice and light. I tried to break the fast with lasagna one year in college, and my stomach did not like it one bit.

December 12, 2010 at 4:33 am
  9. Janet B

Interesting how there are so many variations on the same theme!

October 5, 2010 at 9:37 pm
  10. term paper

this Chicken-Orzo Soup looks good make my mouth water great site really informative i learned a lot great stuff keep it up

September 28, 2010 at 10:04 am