Freebie Friday: Calling All Weekend Chefs

October 1, 2010 | By | Comments (90)

Clwaytocook_front-x Work with me. I know we are all in need of delicious, nutritious meals we can prepare quickly. That's a given. Whether you're cooking for a large crew or just yourself, many days there's not enough time in the day to cook. So, enter the quick and easy recipe. We love them.

But for me, I also long for time to spend on a recipe, and that usually happens on a weekend when we're not double and triple booked at every kids' birthday party in the metro area. The ideal would be to head to the farmer's market, find something inspiring (sometimes it's the fresh-baked breads from a baker's stand or a seasonal gem from the back of a truck), and go home and dive in. For me, this is relaxing, rewarding, and, well, sublime.

In the spirit of those weekend chefs out there, we're giving away a copy of our biggest and best how-to book, Cooking Light Way to Cook. It teaches and inspires for those just learning and those always wanting to learn more. Here's how it works:

Step 1: “Like” us on Facebook (use the Facebook box to the right and click “Like” if you don’t already like us).

Step 2: Describe for us here in 50 words or less your favorite weekend cooking project. Entries should be typed into the comments field of this blog post. Entries are due by Monday, October 4 at 11:59 a.m. EST.

Editors will select their favorite based on originality, creativity, and how well you address our question. Winner will be notified via email by October 8, 2010. For full contest rules, click here.

COMMENTS

1. Karen Lee

I guess the quick baked good I make the most is cornbread waffles. Good with beans and soups, especially chili!

October 15, 2010 at 2:33 pm
  2. Jordan P

My favorite weekend cooking would have to be theme meals! I love to go all out when I have some free time. For instance, we did Italian last week and I made a homemade pesto with trofiette and a savory cannellini bean bruschetta, my buddy brought the nutella canolis!

October 15, 2010 at 12:26 pm
  3. Pamela R.

I love to make my family my lemon tarragon roast chicken! I actually roast two chickens and save one for homemade chicken noodle soup. I serve my roast chicken with roasted potatoes, carrots, red onions and yummy gravy…So good!

October 15, 2010 at 12:17 pm
  4. carl c.

I don’t have a fav weekend cooking project. Why not you ask? I can’t cook, no really I can’t. Everything I make tastes and looks bad. I am here trying to learn and hopefully get a fav weekend cooking project.

October 4, 2010 at 10:42 pm
  5. Jill R.

My husband inherited a pasta maker (named Marilyn) and every so often we spend a day making fresh pasta together with our 9 year old. It’s fun to make different shapes; the adult version of play dough. Then the question begs, marinara or pesto? Why not both – it’s the weekend!

October 4, 2010 at 5:33 pm
  6. kay

I have started doing communal cookingwith some other mums. It really takes the burden off cooking during the week!

October 4, 2010 at 5:32 pm
  7. Jan

My favorite weekend cooking project in the fall is soups, soups and more soups. My favorite is butternut squash with some crusty bread and nice bottle of chardonnay on the side. Yummmmm!

October 4, 2010 at 3:20 pm
  8. Sarah

I cook all week so my husband usually takes on a weekend cooking project. He likes to stick to his Italian roots by making homemade meatball and sauce or Eggplant Parmesan. My project is to clean up after him, he’s know as “The Messy Chef”!

October 4, 2010 at 1:42 pm
  9. Sarah

October 4, 2010 at 1:42 pm
  10. Melissa

I was a vegetarian for over twelve years, however our children enjoy non-vegetarian food. Thus, in recent months my weekend cooking projects have been rather exciting. I try a new non-vegetarian recipe — essentially I’m learning to cook all over again — and would certainly appreciate the Cooking Light Guide!

October 4, 2010 at 1:33 pm
  11. Melissa

October 4, 2010 at 1:33 pm
  12. Diana

I like to make a big pot of soup – usually chicken tortilla or green chile-potato – on Sunday evenings so that I have something to eat when I get home from work in the evening.

October 4, 2010 at 1:25 pm
  13. Jen Bowman

My favorite weekend cooking projects include homemade marinara that takes a couple hours to put together, and baking with my kids. Our favorite is white chocolate, oatmeal, cranberry cookies!

October 4, 2010 at 12:09 pm
  14. Sharon

Weekends are my time to try out all the fun new recipes I have been wanting to make. I live with my elderly parents and they love the weekends when I make us what they refer to as gourmet meals. We love weekend cooking when I can take my time.

October 4, 2010 at 11:57 am
  15. Sarah

Weekends are for baking and taking the time to fix those more time consuming meals that are sooo worth the extra effort!

October 4, 2010 at 11:33 am
  16. Lori Young

My husband has every Sunday off. We make special meals that take all day to cook. Our favorite fall and winter favorite is beef stew and our second favorite is chili. We are always on the lookout for new recipes that are all day projects we can can make together.

October 4, 2010 at 11:28 am
  17. Dawn Breazile

I like to get ahead Sundays with a roast or whole roast chicken for leftovers during the week! Also a fun light muffin or quick bread is fun for brunches

October 4, 2010 at 11:25 am
  18. PH Figueroa

I like to spend the weekend prepping and cooking meals for the week. Planning and cooking ahead means that I save time and money. Benefits = better balanced meals and less waste. The house smells great and the kitchen is nice and warm while it’s cold outside.

October 4, 2010 at 11:17 am
  19. Tracy

My favorite weekend cooking project always involves something savory AND something sweet. At this time of year, that most likely means soup or stew and a quick bread or other dessert. This weekend, it was chili (I am very loyal to The Complete Cooking Light Cookbook version) and banana blueberry bread.

October 4, 2010 at 11:15 am
  20. Chandler

Like many others, I love preparing for the week ahead, but it brings me great joy to make a big Sunday breakfast for my family!! We love egg casseroles or muffins. It is our comfort time!

October 4, 2010 at 11:15 am
  21. Dana Lindsey

My favorite weekend project is simply cooking for the coming week. I am in the process of learning to cook and eat healthy. That requires that I plan my meals in advance. I select five recipes and if they are not already on the Weight Watchers list, I enter them to calculate the recipe points. I shop on either Friday or Saturday. On Sunday after church, I prep and prepare meals for the week. Eating was always a choir before – something I did at the last minute when I was already starved and didn’t care what I ate. I am enjoying my new lifestyle. I love finding new recipes, and new ways to eat my favorite foods. My weekends are a huge part of my new lifestyle. Cooking and eating is fun to me now.

October 4, 2010 at 11:07 am
  22. Claudia

My weekend ‘cooking project’ actually doesn’t involve a recipe at all! Every Sunday I spend hours going through issues of Cooking Light and a few others J, plan the week’s menu and make my grocery list – ALWAYS adding something I’ve never made before. As a foodie, I LOVE this process!

October 4, 2010 at 10:41 am
  23. Claudia

October 4, 2010 at 10:39 am
  24. Aimee

My favorite weekend cooking project is a hearty veggie soup when the weather is cool or rainy, or fruit scones when I want something warm from the oven. Yum!

October 4, 2010 at 10:39 am
  25. Sarah L

By far, a Chili and Cornbread weekend is my favorite. Pair it with a couple of good football games and you cannot go wrong!!

October 4, 2010 at 10:35 am
  26. matt forget

Perfect weekend cooking project – Sunday night pizza on the grill. We pick new ingredients every weekend and make a new grilled pizza as we watch our Sunday night TV. This gives us time to enjoy good food without slaving over an intricate meal plan.

October 4, 2010 at 10:33 am
  27. Katherine Wheeler

My weekend cooking projects include making dishes for the week. I love to cook steel cut oats for breakfast and quinoa salads for lunch.

October 4, 2010 at 10:30 am
  28. Kelly

One of our favorite weekend cooking projects would be making homemade sushi. Although it can be very expensive when dining out with our family of five, my husband has mastered this art and can make our family sushi in a flash. The key to making sushi at home is FRESH FISH! Check out how we do it:

October 4, 2010 at 10:29 am
  29. Karen B

A great fall weekend project includes 2 different events, one is finding the perfect venison chili for my husband to utilize the meat he gets in the fall (and to keep him fueled by food while he is hunting).
    The other is trying out different recipes from a healthy Greek cooking class I took, along with girlfriends and sister.

October 4, 2010 at 10:29 am
  30. Suzanne B

I like to do the same thing and spend time on the rare “boring” sunday to cook a bigger meal, preferably one that will last a couple nights, or at least a couple lunches!
    I am looking forward to making turkey meatloaf in the next couple weeks. Cooking a beer can chicken is always a favorite too. I’ve been dabbling with making my own tomato sauce from my garden tomatoes, and before frost hits I’ll be trying out pesto for the first time! Sunday night/new reipce cooking has to be my favorite!

October 4, 2010 at 10:28 am
  31. Pamela R.

My favorite weekend meal to make especially in the fall is my French Onion Soup. I love the process of caramelizing the onions taking it slow. It is such a simple soup but the flavors with onions, fresh thyme, the crispy bread and the gruyere gives it such a deep flavor. It warms your soul!

October 4, 2010 at 10:27 am
  32. katarina wiese

I just recently got married and on the weekends my husband and i like cooking up a storm, getting ready for the whole week. We’ve made stew, a key lime pie and a bunch of other really good recipes off the cooking light website.

October 4, 2010 at 10:26 am
  33. Greta

My favorite weekend cooking project, when I make the time, is to create dishes that I don’t have time for during the week. One of my favorite cuisines is Indian. I love pulling out my stash of Indian spices to create coriander shrimp with tomato chutney, cabbage pancakes, basmati rice pilaf and chicken masala. These dishes can be time consuming, but make for a rewarding weekend project!

October 4, 2010 at 10:24 am
  34. Greta

October 4, 2010 at 10:24 am
  35. Niki

My weekend projects at the moment are baking breads and freezing for Christmas baskets. Hoping to make my week of Christmas a little less crazy. My toddlers are helps and soooo cute.

October 4, 2010 at 10:12 am
  36. Kathie Martin

I love weekend kitchen projects that allow me to take my time, using fresh ingredients carefully prepared to create a truly wonderful dish that I’ve discovered in a magazine. It cleans out the cobwebs in my mind…and the pantry!

October 4, 2010 at 10:10 am
  37. Nicole

My favorite weekend ritual is to skim copies of Cooking Light and then make several recipes on Sunday night. By doing this, I have a healthy weekly menu in the works for busy weeknights. This is a necessity for me as a new Mom!

October 4, 2010 at 10:10 am
  38. Misty Bowling

My favorite weekend cooking project this time of year wouold be a nice crockpot slow simmered pot roast. Made with carrots & potatoes and those nice pearl onions. With just some white bread on the side for dipping the gravy. Yummy!!!

October 4, 2010 at 10:09 am
  39. Ellie

My favorite weekend cooking project is grilling up all kinds of things to have over the weekend and during the week. Load up the grill with marinated chicken, flat iron steak, red peppers, and peaches for dessert!

October 4, 2010 at 10:08 am
  40. Jennifer

My favorite weekend project is anything that involves cooking. I love to make the complicated hard to make foods on the weekend. This past weekend I took on the challenge of chicken noodle soup…but by making my own egg noodles…turned out to be absolutely delicious, and one meal my new husband says he will be requesting over and over again this winter!

October 4, 2010 at 10:07 am