Gluten Free Bisquick

October 20, 2010 | By | Comments (11)

Gluten-free-bisquick This weekend, I gave the new Gluten Free Bisquick Baking Mix a try. I do not personally avoid gluten, but I am lactose-free, so I'm always excited when big food corporations like General Mills start taking dietary considerations into, well, consideration.

Weekend pancakes have recently become a tradition in my home and if I don't have time for full-on homemade pancakes (our Whole Wheat Buttermilk Pancakes recipe is one of my all-time favorites), I usually reach for Bisquick's Heart Smart mix. So I figured the pancakes would be a great recipe to try out.

The recipe was, of course, incredibly easy and quick to mix up. For a little extra flavor, I added 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract and a few dashes of cinnamon.

PancakesI don't know what I was expecting, but I was pleasantly surprised how similarly the gluten-free pancakes cooked to the regular kind. Tiny bubbles and golden edges helped indicate when it was time to flip. Each pancake turned out fluffy and not too thick – just right! They tasted great, too. While they had a slight rice-y flavor, it definitely didn't bother me (the mix is made of rice flour after all). In the fall spirit, I served the pancakes with warm, delicious SautĂ©ed Apples and about a tablespoon of maple syrup. Mmm!

Here's the recipe I used (and my alterations) from the back of the box:

Gluten Free Bisquick Pancakes

1 cup Bisquick Gluten Free mix
1 cup milk (I used dairy-free Almondmilk)
2 Tbsp vegetable oil (I used canola oil)
1 egg
(1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract)
(cinnamon, to taste)

- Stir ingredients until blended.
– Pour by slightly less than 1/4 cupfuls onto hot greased griddle.
– Cook until edges are dry. Turn; cook until golden.

Makes 10 pancakes.

So, have you tried Bisquick's new Gluten Free mix? Did you like it? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Craving breakfast food now? Check out our Top-Rated Breakfast and Brunch Recipes.

COMMENTS

1. Angela Y

I am gf and it is sooo good to have a Gf product that tastes great! So many don’t but they are getting better. I just wish they sold the gf bisquik in a bigger box(and I’ve told them that)!:-)

June 3, 2011 at 10:54 am
  2. Rob

Gluten Free Bisquick is really good. We offer it at http://www.glutensolutions.com and have been serving the gluten free community for over 12 years. We offer one stop shopping for all the best tasting gluten free foods!

June 3, 2011 at 10:38 am
  3. Mallory Daugherty

I’m so glad you’ve all have had such good experiences with GF Bisquick as well.
    Anna – I love the tip about adding the sauteed apples INSIDE the pancakes! Will definitely have to try!

October 26, 2010 at 11:54 am
  4. Marjorie Farmer

I have Celiac Disease and miss my pancakes. Gluten Free Bisquick pancake recipe is great. I ate the whole batch myself.

October 25, 2010 at 11:58 am
  5. Lena

I am not gluten intolerant but my cousin is so I passed this info along to her. sounds delicious. glad Bisquick developed this.

October 24, 2010 at 8:20 am
  6. Christina

Ooo! I tried some of the recently as well, and besides the rice-y texture of the batter, they tasted very similar to the original Bisquick mix! I love the picture of your pancakes, too. They look so yummy! I always seem to do one large one at a time but making smaller ones makes it easy to nibble on a few while you cook the rest!

October 21, 2010 at 10:26 am
  7. Anna

Great job! Next time, try to add sauteed apples inside the pancakes. I cooked with almond milk for the first time today – rice pudding. Pleasantly surprised.

October 21, 2010 at 1:00 am
  8. Julie

My daughter was recently diagnosed as gluten intolerant and she loves the Gluten-Free Bisquick. She has chocolate chip pancakes every morning. Great addition to our new diet!

October 20, 2010 at 8:27 pm
  9. Mallory Daugherty

SusieBee: Those Chocolate Hazelnut Pancakes sound divine!
    Mary Beth: Great minds must think alike! I’m glad you enjoyed the pancake/apple combination as well!

October 20, 2010 at 4:40 pm
  10. Mary Beth

I LOVE GF Bisquick. I also made pancakes with apple compote – yum! I made the biscuits and Impossible Apple Pie too. The best part is that it is less expensive than many other mixes. Thanks Betty Crocker!

October 20, 2010 at 4:34 pm
  11. SusieBee

Agree, glad more companies are offering variations of their products.
    Not gluten-free, but I’ve finally landed on a great whole wheat pancake recipe, very versatile.

October 20, 2010 at 1:54 pm