Eggs-in-a-Basket: An Easy, Festive Breakfast

December 27, 2010 | By | Comments (8)

Egg-basket While Christmas Day may be long gone, I still love to find simple ways to keep the festivity alive–the tree is up, carols still being sung–at least until January 1st.

The morning after Christmas I made my family one of my favorite breakfasts, Eggs-in-a-Basket. The best part: it’s easy. And after the big Christmas feast, simple meals are always welcome. To add a touch of whimsy fit for this time of year, I used a star-shaped cookie cutter to make the “basket” instead of my usual circular hole.

To make, all you need is a few slices of bread, eggs, a little bit of butter, and cooking spray.

Cookie-cutter-bread
Step 1: Make a hole in the middle of each slice of bread (I used sourdough here, but also love 100% whole wheat, rye, or even cinnamon-raisin bread for a tasty salty-sweet combo) using a cookie cutter or the rim of a clean drinking glass. Spread a small amount of butter on both sides of the bread and the piece you cut out.

Step 2: Place the buttered slices on a skillet coated with a small amount of cooking spray over medium heat. Toast the bread for about a minute before cracking the egg into the middle. Let the egg cook about 3-4 minutes.

Egg-basket2 Step 3: Using a large spatula, carefully flip over. Cook the other side to desired amount of doneness. Add the cut out pieces to the skillet to toast as well. Salt and pepper your egg-in-a-basket to taste and serve.

I’d love to know: Have you ever made eggs-in-a-basket? What’s your go-to easy breakfast for holidays or weekends? For more ideas, check out our best healthy breakfast and brunch recipes and our top-rated egg recipes.

COMMENTS

1. Five on Friday: 5 Ways to Celebrate World Egg Day | Cooking Light

[…] Baked Egg-in-a-Hole: I’ve mentioned before that this one of my favorite breakfast treats. It makes breakfast seem special without much […]

October 11, 2013 at 3:30 pm
  2. Dawn R

Wow! Haven’t thought about this in years! We grew up with this as well, my mother called it “Egg with a Hat”, the Hat being the cut-out piece of bread which was also cooked in the pan, to dip in the soft yolk (back then, no fears about salmonella). In later years for my kids I cooked the egg and bread longer so the yolk wasn’t runny. A memory from the past. Thanks.

February 1, 2013 at 1:29 pm
  3. sharalsam

WOW I am super excited to see all this, Its so beautifully designed thanks for haring i will save this tip for me.thanks for sharing…you rock…:)

January 19, 2011 at 8:24 am
  4. Serena

Wow – I was super excited to see these. I grew up with these as well, as did my mom. We call them Egyptian Eyes, although I am not really sure why. My mom gre up in PA and that is what they are called there.

January 13, 2011 at 3:00 pm
  5. Dawn

My hubbie has been asking me to make these after he saw them in a magazine…thanks for the tips!

January 6, 2011 at 2:47 pm
  6. Mallory Daugherty

Thanks so much for the comments!
    Cathy: I hope yours turned out well!
    Leslie: My mother grew up on them as well and I just love all the different names: egg-in-a-hole, egg-in-a-basket, bird’s nest, etc. Yum! I’ll have to try the cheese next time.

January 5, 2011 at 4:42 pm
  7. Leslie

we grew up on these, but our mom called them them simply “egg-in-a-hole” ..you call also sprinkle some cheese on them after they are flipped…

January 4, 2011 at 7:35 am
  8. Cathy

I love it. I might just give the star shape a try tomorrow morning. Thanks for such a great yet easy idea.

December 31, 2010 at 11:42 am