If you like the earthy goodness of big globe artichokes but find them fussy, buy a bunch of baby ones instead. Here's the deal: They're choke-free (the choke is that furry part) and almost entirely edible. Less prep work overall.
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
8 baby artichokes
1/2 cup crisp white wine
1 1/2 teaspoons black peppercorns
5 shallots, peeled and quartered
5 French breakfast radishes, halved lengthwise
1/2 (14.1-ounce) package refrigerated pie dough (such as Pillsbury)
1 garlic clove, halved
1/3 cup pine nuts, toasted and chopped
3 ounces Asiago cheese, shredded (about 3/4 cup packed)
2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Combine 1 cup water and juice in a bowl. Cut artichoke tops off; trim stems. Quarter artichokes; place in bowl. Combine 2 cups water and wine in a saucepan. Place peppercorns in center of cheesecloth; tie ends. Add sachet to pain; bring to a simmer. Drain artichokes; add to pot. Simmer 5 minutes; drain. Dischard sachet. Heat a small skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add shallots; saute 5 minutes. Combine shallots, artichokes, and radishes.
3. Roll dough out to a 15-inch circle; rub with garlic. Place dough on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with nuts and cheese, leaving a 2-inch border. Top with artichoke mixture, thyme, pepper, and salt. Fold edges of dough over to partially cover. Bake at 400 degrees F for 30 minute sor until browned.
SERVES 6 (serving size: 1 wedge)
CALORIES 304; FAT 18.4g (sat 6g, mono 5.5g, poly 5.4g); PROTEIN 9.3g; CARB 30.8g; FIBER 5g; CHOL 13mg; IRON 1.9mg; SODIUM 503mg; CALC 177mg
-Recipe by Tiffany Vickers Davis
Combine 1/4 cup canola mayonnaise, 2 teaspoons Sriracha (Thai hot sauce), 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice, and 1 teaspoon lower-sodium soy sauce, stirring well with a whisk. Serve with steamed artichoke leaves.
SERVES 4 (serving size: about 4 teaspoons)
CALORIES 49; FAT 5g (sat 0g); SODIUM 173mg
2 cups water
7 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, divided
4 baby artichokes
1 slice thick cut applewood smoked bacon
1 tablespoon white wine
¾ cup arugula (packed)
2 ounces Neufchatel cheese
2 tablespoons grated fresh parmesan cheese
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 garlic clove, minced
1. Combine water and 2 tablespoons lemon juice in a small bowl. Trim artichokes, and cut into eighths. Place artichoke pieces in lemon-water mixture.
2. Cook bacon in a medium skillet over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until crisp. Remove bacon from pan; crumble. Set bacon aside. Reserve 2 teaspoons drippings in the pan; add artichokes to reserve drippings. Saute artichokes 9 minutes or until tender and browned on the edges; remove from heat. Add wine; tossing to coat artichokes. Place artichokes in a food processor; add arugula and next 5 ingredients (through garlic); process until well combined. Add remaining 1 teaspoon lemon juice; pulse to combine. Spoon mixture into a bowl; top with reserved bacon.
YIELD: ¾ cup.