10 Healthy Snacks to Share with your Dog

October 12, 2012 | By | Comments (19)

My cooking often attracts a crowd. I wish I could say it is because I am an amazing cook, but the truth of the matter is that I live with three dogs that love to eat – anything and everything. Even though they have full bellies, they hover around to scoop up and dropped food.

I like to give my dog healthy snacks, but for canines, knowing what snacks to give can sometimes be a matter of life and death (especially in smaller dogs). After volunteering at the Humane Society for a number of years, and doing my own research for my dog, here are 10 healthy snacks you can share with your pup:

1. Carrots – I give my dogs full raw carrots. It takes him awhile to eat the whole thing, and I know they are healthy.
  2. Peanut butter – I’ll spread some on a milk bones, or just let him lick the spoon or spreader after making PB & J.
  3. Blueberries – Raspberries and blackberries are okay too. When I snack on berries I occasionally throw the pups a few to catch in the air – fun!
  4. Eggs – Scrambled, not butter, no salt or pepper. It’s rumored this will make your dog’s coat shiny.
  5. Green Beans – Raw, straight out the fridge makes a great snack.
  6. Sweet potatoes – This is an ingredient in many dog foods. A lot of people dehydrate them and use them in place of store-bought dog treats.
  7. Lean meat – Chicken, pork, fish, turkey. Avoid bones and fat.
  8. Apples – Slice a wedge off, your dog will adore you.
  9. Popcorn – No salt or butter here. A good way to share movie nights with your pooch.
  10. Rice – When my dog is feeling a little queasy, I give him plain white rice to soothe his stomach. Oatmeal is good here too.

Do not give your dogs the following foods: Grapes, onion, garlic, chocolate, avocado, alcohol, meat scraps (cooked bones), peaches (pits in particular), and caffeine. These can be poisonous or unsafe for dog consumption.

My Cooking Entourage

COMMENTS

1. Denis

I like the valuable information you provide in your
    articles. I’ll bookmark your weblog and check
    again here regularly. I’m quite sure I’ll learn many new stuff right here!
    Best of luck for the next!

October 18, 2014 at 5:27 pm
  2. Healthy Snacks For Dogs – about food and health

[…] 10 Healthy Snacks to Share with your Dog | Cooking Light – Thanks for the tips on good healthy snacks for dogs. I have a black schnauzer too but his coat looks nothing like your dogs. How did you get their costs looking so good? […]

September 3, 2014 at 11:32 am
  3. Jenn

Hey Jay! Thanks so much! Just ordered a couple bottles for my pets and was excited to see you can get a free bottle with your first order! I’ll let you know how it goes for my babies. I saw where it helps with arthritis and I have one that can certainly use the help!

July 31, 2014 at 1:58 pm
  4. Jay

I have too many dogs to cook my own treats. I do, however, give them the most healthy treats on the market, imo. I did a LOT of research and tested a lot of treats, but found that the treats I now feed are never problematic and also help build their immune systems and joints. The sweet potatoes, fruits, and rice can also worsen a dog’s skin condition. Here are the treats I use: http://nzymespetproducts.com/products/antioxidant-treats-for-pets/

July 18, 2014 at 4:17 pm
  5. Kiss Your Yorkie! | The Yorkie Times

[…] 10 Healthy Snacks to Share with your Dog | Cooking Light […]

February 23, 2014 at 8:01 am
  6. Yorkshire Terrier Wishing for a Bone | The Yorkie Times

[…] 10 Healthy Snacks to Share with your Dog | Cooking Light […]

January 7, 2014 at 7:27 pm
  7. heavy snacks for a dog

I also think these are heavy snacks for a dog. you certainly must have 3 heavy furry friends feeding on these stuff for a snack. The idea of feeding dogs with carrot seems to come afresh to me while reading through your article and i think i need to read more about it.

November 27, 2013 at 11:25 am
  8. Roger Holden

Your dogs sure look healthy outside and from the food list you have supplied, they llok to be healthy inside as well. Bravo on feeding the natural way.

March 19, 2013 at 5:30 pm
  9. dog food chicago il

These all snacks (carrots, eggs, green beans, peanut butter, blueberries, sweet potatoes, apple, popcorn, rice, lean meat) are actually best for a dog. Thanks a lot for posting these yummy snacks.

March 11, 2013 at 5:24 am
  10. Michelle Klug

Lisa,
    Yes, that is a great point about decaffeinated coffee and macadamia nuts. As for avocado, the ASPCA has this to say on their website “The leaves, fruit, seeds and bark of avocados contain Persin, which can cause vomiting and diarrhea in dogs… Some ingestions may even be fatal.” I am not exactly sure how Avoderm does it, but I would certainly avoid giving all avocado products to my dogs.

December 18, 2012 at 8:52 am
  11. Lisa

Decaffeinated coffee still has caffeine in it, so beware. Also on the list of no-no foods is macadamia nuts–they can cause temporary paralysis in dogs, or worse. There’s a whole brand of dog food that uses avocado–“Avoderm.” How can this be if it’s toxic for dogs??

December 17, 2012 at 4:52 pm
  12. 10 Healthy Snacks to Share with your Dog � Simmer & Boil … | Dog Blogs

[...] 10 Healthy Snacks to Share with your Dog � Simmer & Boil … [...]

October 21, 2012 at 1:08 pm
  13. Healthy eating: Room at the table for Fluffy and Spot? « Percolated Prose

[...] Research is vital. But there are some great resources out there, from books to websites and blogs by people who have been making homemade foods for their pets for a long time. Some of them are even [...]

October 19, 2012 at 3:31 pm
  14. Jackie Wing

You forgot to mention that one needs to be careful because many of these things when incorporated in their diet to begin with can cause digestive problems.

October 16, 2012 at 2:52 pm
  15. Michelle Klug

Laura, the two schnauzers are my housemate’s dogs, but I know she feeds them a mix of a raw diet and Fromm dry dog food. I feed mine (the lab) Fromm dog food as well and love it because it’s moderately priced for a natural dog food. Eggs also make the coat shiny – or so I hear! I’ve also heard fish oil.

October 16, 2012 at 2:12 pm
  16. Jill O’Connell

Good suggestions. Sweet potatoes are one of my favorites, too.

October 16, 2012 at 2:15 am
  17. Afrobutterfly

The Marles likes cherry tomatoes, honey-glazed peanuts and cheddar pretzels, too.

October 16, 2012 at 2:08 am
  18. Laura Yeates

Thanks for the tips on good healthy snacks for dogs. I have a black schnauzer too but his coat looks nothing like your dogs. How did you get their costs looking so good? My Max was really black when I got him but over the past few years its looking more gray and dull and he’s not that old. I’ve tried what I thought was everything. Any ideas?

October 15, 2012 at 10:51 pm
  19. Percolated Prose

Thank goodness for decaffeinated, because our dogs always obsessively love coffee ;) Thanks for the info!

October 15, 2012 at 7:58 pm