American Sparkling Wine Comes of Age

This gorgeous glass of bubbly, called J. Schram, was produced the same year Cooking Light was born, 1987, and then the wine snoozed for more than two decades in the cool, deep stone caves of Schramsberg winery in Napa Valley. It was poured in our studios in June and had tarnished from a clear-straw color to coppery-gold. It had the lovely aroma of bread dough and dried fruit and was slightly bitter, with toasted-nut and caramel flavors, a lively fine fizz and lots of zingy acid. Enough of the winespeak: It was delicious. The ability of a California sparkling wine to age as well as a French Champagne is a kind of victory lap for U.S. winemaking. Schramsberg is made on a property that first produced wine in the 1860s and was revived a century later by the Davies family to take a run at the French Champagne houses. Today, a number of the French houses make bubbly in California, but Schramsberg and the Davieses still rule—on top of their game.

COMMENTS

1. fixing laminate floor water damage

I’m gone to inform my little brother, that he should also pay a visit this weblog
    on regular basis to obtaiun updated from latest
    news.

September 17, 2014 at 5:28 am
  2. me1page.com

This is really interesting, You are a very skilled blogger.
    I have joined your feed and look forward to seeking more
    of your wonderful post. Also, I have shared your web site in my social networks!

June 23, 2014 at 7:42 pm
  3. moving company reviews

But stay away from alcohol-based aftershaves, which can incredibly irritate piano
    movers west los angeles the skin. Hair is being cut only at the surface
    level which means that you won’t have to worry about the
    cord getting in the way all the time. This is usually because the person getting the hair removed does have a lot of
    substitutions for the ingredients, the only oral medication
    to treat male hair loss. What kind of shaving
    cream or soap that they plan on using.

March 29, 2014 at 2:48 am
  4. Janessa

Greetings! Quick question that’s completely off topic. Do you know how
    to make your site mobile friendly? My web site looks weird when viewing from my iphone 4.
    I’m tryinbg to find a theme or plugin that might bee able to correct this issue.
    If you have any suggestions, please share. Cheers!

October 7, 2013 at 5:47 pm
  5. Kris

I was suggested this website by my cousin.
    I’m not sure whether this post is written by him as no one else know such detailed about my problem. You are wonderful! Thanks!

August 6, 2013 at 4:42 am
  6. back pain remedies while pregnant

Thanks for finally writing about >American Sparkling Wine
    Comes of Age – Simmer and Boil | Cooking Light <Liked it!

August 5, 2013 at 11:44 pm
  7. trainee plumbing vacancies

I am curious to find out what blog platform you’re utilizing? I’m experiencing some small security issues with my latest website and I would like to find something more secure.
    Do you have any recommendations?

May 6, 2013 at 9:32 am
  8. Mellisa

Hi there just wanted to give you a quick heads up.
    The words in your content seem to be running off the screen in Firefox.
    I’m not sure if this is a format issue or something to do with internet browser compatibility but I thought I’d post to let you know.
    The style and design look great though! Hope you get
    the issue resolved soon. Thanks

January 17, 2013 at 7:19 pm
  9. Luxury, Sustainable – Simmer & Boil | – Cooking Light

[…] Egg Ideas Caviar tastes salty, but a half-teaspoon has only 40mg of sodium. Serve the best caviar with neutral-flavored toast points. Use roes as a garnish on raw oysters or smoked salmon canapés. Always, of course, offer a glass of bubbly. […]

October 29, 2012 at 8:03 am
  10. Cheese Culture Takes Hold – Simmer & Boil | – Cooking Light

[…] Twenty years ago, most of the best cheeses were European imports. Today, the American cheese scene is developing beautifully, like a bloomy rind on a luscious round of Humboldt Fog. Within the last five years, the number of artisan cheesemakers has doubled, from around 400 in 2006 to more than 800 in 2011, according to Jeff Roberts, cofounder of the Vermont Institute of Artisan Cheese. Leading the movement are people like Emily Bryant Montgomery of Calkins Creamery, a sustainable dairy in Wayne County, Pennsylvania. Her lush Noble Road—whose “cheese portrait” by Mike Geno, shown above, we commissioned for this issue—smells sweetly of truffles and herbs and fully expresses the terroir of her family’s sixth-generation farm. For the ultimate tasting experience, try it with a fine glass of American bubbly. […]

October 26, 2012 at 2:23 pm