Homemade Dog Treats

November 1, 2012 | By | Comments (10)

If you have a dog, he or she most likely loves treats. And we love giving them treats, because the tail starts wagging and their eyes get big, and it just seems to make them so happy.

Now, while I am not one to buy clothes and expensive boutique dog treats, I do enjoy baking, and it occurred me to try my hand at making my own dog biscuits. My dog is my baking buddy, and tends to hover around in search of dropped goodies – he often ends up dusted in flour. Overall, it was easy and affordable – and Marley loved them.

I had half a can of pureed pumpkin left over from Pumpkin Bread, and hate to see things go to waste. So I started with that and peanut butter, and varied adding dry and wet ingredients to get the dough to have similar consistency as pizza dough.  Here is the recipe I ended up with.

Pumpkin-Peanut Butter Dog Treats Recipe

1 cup pureed pumpkin

½ cup peanut butter

2 ¼ cup wheat flour

2 eggs

1/3 cup water

Makes  30 large dog treats

1. Mix all ingredients together. Preheat oven to 350.
  2. Spray cooking spray on hands to avoid sticking. Knead dough until all ingredients are dispersed and it is the consistency of pizza dough.
  3. Spread dough onto a cookie sheet, filling the entire thing.
  4. Cut into 30 squares, and make fork indents on each square for design purposes.
  5. Bake 30 minutes, until biscuits are hard and slightly crunchy on the outside.
  6. Cool down before giving to the dog.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

COMMENTS

1. Fhiha

I found your post comments while searching Google. It is very relevant information. Great work. Regularly I do not make posts on blogs, but I have to say that this posting really forced me to do so. Really awesome post. Really fantastic and I will be coming back for more information at your site and revisit it! Homemade Dog Treats.

June 3, 2014 at 2:37 am
  2. 25 Homemade Dog Treats – Pet Coupon Savings

[…] Pumpkin Peanut Butter Dog Treats (Simmer and Boil) […]

June 23, 2013 at 2:53 pm
  3. susan

agree rice flour or corn meal flour will be great, and i’ve put some LSA in there, FABULOUS.

December 17, 2012 at 4:43 pm
  4. Don’t Forget Your Four-Legged Friends This Holiday Season – Simmer & Boil | – Cooking Light

[...] Treats Cook up  something special like these Homemade Pumpkin-Peanut Butter Treats I shared earlier. There is a plethora of recipes for dogs and cats out there, and you most likely [...]

December 7, 2012 at 11:00 am
  5. Jane

THIS IS GREAT FOR OUR 4 DOGS A HEALTHY TREAT THANKS

November 27, 2012 at 7:40 pm
  6. Jane

We love this idea. With 4 dogs it will save some and they will get a healthy treat thanks Jane and mike

November 27, 2012 at 7:36 pm
  7. janicedoty

I’m planning on switching out the wheat for rice flour (easier on their stomachs) but I’m sure my doggie-girl will love them!

November 18, 2012 at 7:56 am
  8. Terri

I have been looking all through Google search for easy to make doggie treats and yours is the first I am going to try. Looks simple and from a dogs point of view (lol) woof woof. Thank you for sharing. My dog is just plain “spoilt”.

November 10, 2012 at 9:41 am
  9. Patrice Porter

would coconut flour work, or can dogs have that?

November 2, 2012 at 3:03 pm
  10. Mallory Brasseale

Marley’s a cutie! And I’m definitely trying these out for my pup :) Thanks for the recipe!

November 1, 2012 at 9:52 am