Now I’m Obsessed with Walking 10,000 Steps a Day

June 27, 2013 | By | Comments (29)

up-wristbandThe UP wristband that each of us on the Cooking Light Food Lover’s Social Diet is wearing is basically a fancy, diabolical pedometer that jacks into your smartphone and downloads your day’s exercise. The default goal is 10,000 steps a day, which, according to a walking website, is about 5 miles.

As soon as I put the UP band on, I saw the scale of the problem. When I moved from Brooklyn to Birmingham, my daily walking average plummeted because I substituted a two-floor elevator ride to my car for a 20-block (round-trip) subway walk. In Brooklyn I used my car once a week; daily shopping trips were expeditions on foot. In the hot South, where I need a car to find a Starbucks or buy a loaf of bread, there just isn’t much walking going on.

On days when I wasn’t doing my standard 3-mile jog, I found myself logging a pathetic, walrus-like 2,000 steps (actually that would be a lot of steps for a walrus). When the UP band began talking to the other members of the Board of Advisors, most of whom live in NYC and are exercisers on top of that, I was looking at folks who were logging 13,000 and even 24,000 steps!

The UP band was calling me a sloth. So I’ve taken to walking around the local public golf course some evenings after dinner—9,700 steps—or running halfway and back in the morning, and finishing at night with, say, 5,000 more: That gets me over 10,000. (Admittedly, all this footwork is a giant time-suck.)

It’s true that stepping out this much leads UP to “credit” my food journal with an extra 250 calories of eating, but that’s not the motivation. Apps like UP demonstrate that I’m a puppy, a baby, a Boy Scout when it comes to feedback: Give me a reward, a virtual badge, and I’ll work harder. That’s the power of social media.

How do you stay motivated to keep moving? Comment here, email Scott_Mowbray@timeinc.com, and tweet @ScottMowb or @Cooking_Light using #SocialDiet.

COMMENTS

1. web developers

Hello there! I could have sworn I’ve been to this site before
    but after checking through some of the post I realized it’s new to me.
    Anyways, I’m definitely glad I found it and I’ll be bookmarking and checking back frequently!

July 16, 2014 at 2:21 pm
  2. Karma Hudson

They give a number of paid and for free migration services, yet industry is normally the ones
    accountable for making backups. When you join for any Linux based hosting plan, make sure that Cpanel is roofed along
    with your account. Selecting the ‘wrong’ provider can be
    very expensive along the queue.

July 11, 2014 at 2:23 am
  3. Chlorogenic Acid

Hey there! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any problems
    with hackers? My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended up losing a few months
    of hard work due to no back up. Do you have any solutions to prevent hackers?

July 10, 2014 at 1:55 am
  4. play online pokies

What’s up Dear, are you genuinely visiting
    thgis web page on a regular basis, if so afterward
    you will definitely obtain fastidious knowledge.

July 7, 2014 at 9:01 pm
  5. Frankfurt Video Marketing

At this time I am ready to do my breakfast, when having my
    breakfast coming yet again to read other news.

July 7, 2014 at 7:57 am
  6. football player dog costumes

What’s up Dear, are you actually visiting this site on a regular basis, if so after
    that you will absolutely get nice knowledge.

July 6, 2014 at 11:14 pm
  7. African Mango Diet

You could definitely see your expertise within the work you write.
    The arena hopes for more passionate writers like you who aren’t afraid to say how they believe.
    Always go after your heart.

July 1, 2014 at 6:04 pm
  8. popular things to sell on ebay

Hello it’s me, I am also visiting this web site daily, this website is actually good and the visitors are truly sharing nice
    thoughts.

June 29, 2014 at 2:36 am
  9. how to quickly lose weight

For most of us the fact the Paleo diet produces the best effects is all-they need.
    Lowered ache from autoimmunity, fat loss, and increased body lipids is evidence enough.
    A lot of people however are not pleased with blindly following any recommendations, be they nutrition or exercise related.
    Some people want to learn WHY they are doing anything.
    Fortunately, the Paleo diet has endured not the
    rigors of clinical critique, but additionally just the exam of
    time.

May 19, 2014 at 9:57 am
  10. How Your Diet Can Sabotage Your Exercise | Cooking Light

[…] not sure about the 80/20 rule—it must vary with each person—but using fitness devices like the UP band and calorie-tracking apps like MyFitnessPal revealed this truth on day one: My 10,000 daily steps, […]

April 23, 2014 at 9:00 am
  11. lose weight walking

Many people want or aim at losing weight but fret when they need to exercise.
    Do not drink water after eating grapes since it may just dilute the
    natural chemicals contained in grapes. The additional tip
    is accompanying all of these activities with a lot of
    optimism.

April 14, 2014 at 2:39 pm
  12. I Made My 20-Week Weight-Loss Goal: Now What? | Wonderful Tips

[…] because of the social aspect. We on the team simply bore everyone else around us by yakking about 10K step goals, “expecting more from our food,” motivation versus willpower, and other topics that […]

January 10, 2014 at 8:28 am
  13. I Made My 20-Week Weight-Loss Goal: Now What? | Cooking Light

[…] because of the social aspect. We on the team simply bore everyone else around us by yakking about 10K step goals, “expecting more from our food,” motivation versus willpower, and other topics that have been […]

October 15, 2013 at 3:43 pm
  14. Vicki

I am an addict too. I can’t not walk one day a week because I have competition. I have to get up to the 10,000. I made it to 20,000 one day on a weekend. I have lost 46 pounds in 4 1/2 months but I also drink Optifast for breakfast everyday and for half of my lunches. I have 57 more to go.

August 29, 2013 at 1:10 pm
  15. Half way to my weight goal, I’m getting afraid of reaching it – Simmer and Boil | Cooking Light

[…] with adjusting the calorie in/calorie out dials in order to lose weight (that’s all apps, bracelets, and scales do, they help with the numbers in the […]

August 7, 2013 at 3:01 pm
  16. Social Diet Update: Down 13 pounds after 13 weeks – Simmer and Boil | Cooking Light

[…] the group dynamic of using the UP bands and MyFitnessPal is really working. Several members have had slumps and plateaus, but there is […]

August 6, 2013 at 8:00 am
  17. Five Reasons the Social Diet Helped Me Lose the First 10 Pounds – Simmer and Boil | Cooking Light

[…] To deny the competitive element would be to lie. The combination of MyFitnessPal and the UP fitness monitor means everyone on our team sees how many steps everyone else has walked, how much […]

August 2, 2013 at 8:01 am
  18. Unrealistic Expectations for Losing the Baby Weight: Give Yourself a Break, New Moms! – Simmer and Boil | Cooking Light

[…] did not have a personal trainer or a chef. My tool of choice was the Jawbone Up band, which can be purchased for a little over $100. It helps me keep track of my steps (I try to walk […]

July 31, 2013 at 4:16 pm
  19. Do You Really Want Your Friends or Coworkers Looking at Your Food Diary? – Simmer and Boil | Cooking Light

[…] Lover’s Social Diet, as I’m pompously calling this little effort, is that the MyFitnessPal and UP apps share progress with friends (or, in my case, with the Board of Advisors). At least they do if you […]

July 18, 2013 at 3:00 pm
  20. How Home-Improvement Is Helping Me Shed Pounds – Simmer and Boil | Cooking Light

[…] to become more active and to try to improve my diet. Then along came the socialdiet, and I got an UP band to monitor my exercise. (Actually, I have 2 Up bands, but one is in a creek, or in a fish in a […]

July 17, 2013 at 12:30 pm
  21. Kathie Swanson

Hmm…I may have to give one of these gizmos a try! More accountability, fantastic!

July 2, 2013 at 10:18 am
  22. Jack Morris (@jack_morris)

Between Jawbone UP and MyFitnessPal, I am achieving my weight loss goal. Since Jan down 55 lbs. I am consistently averaging 14K steps per day. I agree it very hard to find time to insure you get that in on workdays but moremsomon travel days. Like anything, if you want it you have make the time for it. Also wanted to thank Cooking Light for great recipes to help with my goals.

July 2, 2013 at 12:33 am
  23. Carol Klener Jablonski

I’m using the Omron Walking Style pedometer. Clips to the waistband. I bought the model that you download the steps. This model was about $60 at REI. Your wristband model looks interesting.

July 1, 2013 at 7:40 am
  24. Beth

$129 for the aqua colour Fitbit shown in the photo is a tad steep. Simply knowing how many half miles are in the area I am walking be it outdoors, stairs, halls etc is easier for me.

And let’s not forget one still has to burn more calories than they are taking in to lose weight or eat only enough calories to stay at a given weight.

If you walk 10k steps and then come home and drink beer, eat junk food/snacks it means little has been accomplished.

June 30, 2013 at 9:44 pm
  25. Dorothy Hall

I love my fitibit.The joke in our house is that someday I will rise from the grave in zombie form only to get my 10.000. When I last had the flu my hubby forced me to go to bed in spite of my sad weak feverish pleading “But I need 2000 more steps!” Quantification is pwerful.

June 30, 2013 at 3:04 pm
  26. Lindi Maichrye

where do I find that wristband?

June 30, 2013 at 9:55 am
  27. jayhawkinva

I love my Fitbit! 10,000 steps per day is difficult when you work in an office 8-9 hours a day, but this little device keeps me honest and motivated! Best $100 I have spent.

June 30, 2013 at 9:27 am
  28. Andrea Montague

I’m using a pedometer provided by my employer through Virgin Health Miles. I’ve been doing at least 12,000 steps a day. One motivation is money, I’ve earned $500 in the past year. But it’s not the only motivation, I earned the $500 limit a few months ago and I’m still getting in the 12,000 steps a day. Starting in January 2011, I lost 35 pounds (I went from 150 to 115, it took about 9 months). I’ve kept the weight off since then, partly through making sure I get enough steps in per day. I’m lucky enough to be able to walk to work. Although the walk is only a mile, I actually (literally) walk around in circles to get extra steps in (I walk to work through a cemetery which has lots of twisty winding paths). Another motivation is that I listen to audiobooks while walking, and I make sure I walk long enough to listen to several chapters of the book each day.

June 28, 2013 at 3:31 pm
    • Scott Mowbray

It’s funny, everyone I know who has gotten into the pedometer system feels compelled to meet their goal. Lately I’ve been averaging well north of 10,000.

Sent from my iPhone