How Much is a Dash of Salt?

August 27, 2013 | By | Comments (7)

We’re embarking on a new video series where we tackle all kinds of culinary questions—those things you may be too embarrassed to ask. What is a sprig of thyme? How do I cut a kiwi? There’s no question too basic; you’ll be surprised how many people have the same question you do. This week, we clear up confusion about what a “dash” of salt refers to. Check out the video, and let us know what other questions you need answered.

1. Naveen Arora

very helpful…intelligent to treat this as an important one to answer rather than a silly question.

September 26, 2015 at 10:55 pm
  2. yuk

Very helpful. Dash, pinch, sprinkle, hit with some salt…. Can you please do a video of all those different terms to explain?

May 12, 2015 at 4:51 pm
  3. A

@Laurie, I have not encountered that problem, but I would try worcestershire sauce. It is good for balancing out other flavors (like too much sweetness or a heavy maple flavor).

July 23, 2014 at 7:20 pm
  4. Kati Berman

I make honey cake for the Jewish New Year Rosh Hashanah every year. The cake tastes good, everyone loves it, BUT it always sinks in the middle, year after year. I can’t figure out why. I googled it and found others have the same problem, but threre are no good explanations. Any idea?

August 31, 2013 at 8:49 pm
  5. Kathy

What is the difference between onions and shallots?

August 31, 2013 at 5:40 pm
  6. Laurie Downey

I recently made pasta fagoli. The recipe called for 2 28oz cans of diced tomatoes. I realized I only had one can but also had a 28oz can of tomato puree which I used in place of the other can. The recipe was good..but…it had the metal can taste from the tomato puree. My question would be – what can I add to a tomato type recipe to get rid of that metal can taste?

August 31, 2013 at 3:44 pm