Each Friday, we share five things that are getting buzz around the Cooking Light offices—from what we’re reading around the Web, to what’s hot on Instagram, or even our latest favorite ingredient.
I love to peruse the Halloween shelves at supermarkets looking for the newest, spookiest offerings candy companies are coming out with each year (Starburst candy corn, anyone?). This year, it’s been exciting to see some great healthier Halloween treats pop up in stores. Now, I’m not saying anyone needs to completely give up their traditional, beloved Halloween candies. Perhaps, just mix a few of these in with your go-to trick-or-treat mix.
1. Justin’s Organic Peanut Butter Cups: Justin’s of nut butter fame came out with bags of individually wrapped organic Peanut Butter Cups just in time for Halloween. At an informal tasting, CL staff raved over both the Milk and Dark Chocolate flavors, with the Dark Chocolate coming in as the clear favorite. We loved the touch of sea salt in both flavors and, best of all, there’s significantly less sugar in these cups than Reese’s.
2. Popcorn, Indiana Original Kettlecorn: Get the perfect amount of salty-sweetness with these individual, 92-calorie bags of Kettlecorn. Popcorn remains seasonal yet is a welcome respite amongst all that candy.
3. Annie’s Halloween Bunny Grahams: How adorable are these little bunny grahams? Orange honey grahams (sans synthetic dye) and chocolatey grahams come together in one spooky, 50-calorie pack—perfect for lunchboxes and trick-or-treaters alike.
4. Lovely Candy Co. Superfruit Chews: Made with simple ingredients, these Starburst-like chews actually taste like real fruit (imagine that). The Superfruit flavors, blueberry, cranberry, and raspberry, were our favorites but they also come in apple, cherry, and blackberry. Add them to your Halloween candy bowl this year.
5. Pirate’s Booty: I’ve yet to hear of a kid who doesn’t love Pirate’s Booty. And what’s not to love? These baked, cheesy puffs have few ingredients and the perfect amount of crispiness (in other words, they’re addictive). Pass out these perfectly-sized 65-calorie snack bags, which can be found at Target stores, on Halloween night this year.
What will you be handing out to trick-or-treaters this year?