Wow! You’ve Got to Try This—Egg Baskets

March 11, 2014 | By | Comments (49)

Looking for fun brunch ideas? Look no further—we have a beautiful, easy idea for colorful handheld eggy entrees. All you need is a muffin pan and a little less than an hour to make it happen. Check out our how-to video to see how our individual egg baskets are made; recipes follow below.

For each Basic Potato Egg Basket, start with:
1/4 cup refrigerated shredded hash brown potatoes (such as Simply Potatoes)

For each Carrot-Potato Egg Basket, start with:
2 tablespoons refrigerated shredded hash brown potatoes (such as Simply Potatoes)
2 tablespoons shredded carrot

For each Zucchini-Herb-Potato Egg Basket, start with:
2 tablespoons shredded zucchini, patted dry with paper towels
1 teaspoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh chives

For each Beet-Potato Egg Basket, start with:
2 tablespoons shredded red beet

Follow this method for each:

1. Preheat oven to 400°.

2. Start with shiny, light-colored muffin pans. For each egg basket, spoon 1/4 cup mixture into a muffin cup coated with cooking spray. Press mixture into bottom and up sides of muffin cup, pushing mixture just above rim.

3. Bake at 400° for 30 minutes.

4. Crack 1 large egg into each basket. Bake at 400° for 12 to 15 minutes or until eggs are set to your liking. Sprinkle each basket with a dash of kosher salt.

Nutrition information:
Basic Potato Egg Basket (per basket):
CALORIES 114; FAT 5.6g (sat 1.6g, mono 1.8g, poly 1g); PROTEIN 7g; CARB 8g; FIBER 1g; CHOL 186mg; IRON 1mg; SODIUM 216mg; CALC 28mg

Carrot-Potato Egg Basket (per basket):
CALORIES 102; FAT 5.6g (sat 1.6g, mono 1.8g, poly 1g); PROTEIN 7g; CARB 6g; FIBER 1g; CHOL 186mg; IRON 1mg; SODIUM 213mg; CALC 33mg

Zucchini-Herb-Potato Egg Basket (per basket):
CALORIES 100; FAT 5.7g (sat 1.6g, mono 1.8g, poly 1g); PROTEIN 7g; CARB 5g; FIBER 0g; CHOL 186mg; IRON 1mg; SODIUM 205mg; CALC 33mg

Beet-Potato Egg Basket (per basket):
CALORIES 104; FAT 5.6g (sat 1.6g, mono 1.8g, poly 1g); PROTEIN 7g; CARB 6g; FIBER 1g; CHOL 186mg; IRON 1mg; SODIUM 217mg; CALC 31mg

COMMENTS

1. farm heroes saga cheat

Hello just wanted to give you a quick heads up and let you know a few of the pictures aren’t loading correctly.
    I’m not sure why but I think its a linking issue. I’ve tried it in two
    different web browsers and both show the same outcome.

August 27, 2014 at 9:13 pm
  2. dragon city opiniones

Why people still make use of to read news papers when in this technological globe all is available on net?

August 27, 2014 at 6:04 am
  3. Izetta

Woah! I’m really digging the template/theme of this site.
    It’s simple, yet effective. A lot of times it’s difficult to get that “perfect balance” between usability and appearance.
    I must say you have done a awesome job with this.
    Also, the blog loads extremely fast for me on Chrome.
    Outstanding Blog!

August 18, 2014 at 12:21 pm
  4. fish oil health benefits

Magnificent beat ! I would like to apprentice while you amend your site, how can i subscribe for a blog
    site? The account aided me a acceptable deal. I had been a little
    bit acquainted of this your broadcast provided bright clear concept

August 14, 2014 at 12:03 am
  5. The Best of Eggs | The Effortless Chic

[…] 6. Egg Baskets via Cooking Light […]

August 13, 2014 at 6:01 am
  6. hd video

Valuable info. Fortunate me I discovered your website accidentally,
    and I’m shocked why this accident didn’t took place in advance!
    I bookmarked it.

August 12, 2014 at 10:32 am
  7. Diana S

No Pin It button?!

August 7, 2014 at 8:36 pm
  8. best vegetable peeler

Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you kne of any widgets Icould add to my blkog that automatically
    tweet my newest twitter updates. I’ve been looking for a plug-in like this forr quite some time and was
    hoping maybe you would have some experience with someting like this.
    Please let me know if you run into anything.I truly enjoy readinng your blog and I look forward to
    your new updates.

August 6, 2014 at 2:16 am
  9. theresawithtme

Reblogged this on theresawithtme and commented:
    What a fun recipe that already comes in the perfect serving size!

August 5, 2014 at 11:32 pm
  10. Miss the Golden Rule

IIf you stay on the “Cooking Light” webpage, go to the top, click on food. There will be a drop down list and recipes are there. The recipes you find there are set up so you can print them easily.

August 5, 2014 at 6:13 pm
  11. Miss the Golden Rule

Hello everyone, It seems that this is more of a blog posting than a place to look for a recipe written out in the traditional way. That may be why some people are looking for the print button. There is no print- friendly version of this page.
    I have 2 suggestions for all of you. No, make that 3.
    First, If someone asks “how do you print this recipe”, don’t ignore them. They do not deserve to be ignored.
    Second, Go to the top of the page and look under food, and look at the list for recipes.
    Thirdly, don’t expect there to be anymore helpful information in the comments. Some people cannot seem to be kind to others on here, and have forgotten one of the rules of etiquette is not pointing out other people’s shortcomings. Didn’t anyone hear Thumper sing “if you can’t say something nice, shhhh! Say nothing!”?

August 5, 2014 at 6:03 pm
  12. Patricia

LOVE your suggestions Liz! Hey Ginny Dever – pen and paper still exist! Took me less than the time it took you to complain to copy this recipe! It’s worth the extra effort! Happy that they put this recipe out FOR the consumer – and even if you don’t subscribe to the magazine, you can still get recipes. LOVE the magazine – love the site!

June 27, 2014 at 3:32 pm
  13. web page design fairfax va

Now, there are millions, and most of them aren’t very effective in doing
    hat they’re suppoksed to be doing. These small businesses hired
    local teenagers to delier pdoducts to other busiknesses and many were parishioners at thee
    local churches and synagogues. A good Corporate Identity Design practically makes you ahead in the
    mad rush off corporate culture.

June 25, 2014 at 9:51 am
  14. Lees H. Gregory

I’d like to get an recipe without using 10 sheets of paper on a l the nonsence of “you might also like or worse COMMENTS.

June 12, 2014 at 7:29 pm
  15. google.com

I’ve been browsing online more than 3 hours today, yet I never found any interesting article
    like yours. It’s pretty worth enough for me. In my opinion, if all website owners and bloggers made
    good content as you did, the internet will be much more useful than ever before.

June 12, 2014 at 1:22 pm
  16. jill

very bland, suggest adding seasoning to the browns; hard to tell when eggs are done, too…i overcooked them. next time i will do hash browns with peppers/onions and regular eggs.

May 18, 2014 at 12:35 pm
  17. dailymile.com

They may have only a two-bedroom home and have the two children to share a space.
    Question #2: If I am in an auto accident should
    I talk to my own insurance company. This is especially
    true in the field of healthcare law, upon which medical ethics are founded.

May 17, 2014 at 11:20 pm
  18. JudyAnn

But they’re so cute!!! I also think they need a bit of help. I only had dark muffin tins and the bottoms of the nests didn’t crisp up. I’d use more than 1/4 cup of hash browns, too, and/or maybe use grated carrots for color and more taste. Next time I’ll also put some cheddar cheese/ham/canadian bacon in before I add the egg. I used large eggs and there was too much white for my muffin tins. After the first egg, I broke them into a measuring cup and poured some of the white off.

We liked the eggs cooked medium (runny). They were not finger food.

I also did two with scrambled eggs (the yolk had broken). We didn’t like those as much.

Overall, I’ll try these again. Did I mention how cute they look?

May 4, 2014 at 1:21 pm
  19. Melissa

This recipe was terribly disappointing. The taste was bland and the eggs formed a film on top that bubbled and gave it a weird texture. I will NOT be making these again.

April 28, 2014 at 8:57 pm
  20. #HappinessPost 66: Egg Basket

[…] ‘Cooking Light’ Egg Baskets: […]

April 26, 2014 at 4:26 am
  21. Amy

Tried it and would do again with modifications. One would be to Scramble the eggs and add cheese. Next time would also add bacon crumble to the egg mixture for flavor. Also, would salt the hash browns. Otherwise a bland dish.

April 20, 2014 at 1:11 pm
  22. Peter

Excellent recipe. Eggs turned out perfect. As for printing, if you are on a Windows based OS right click and print the page.
    We put ours on a slice of Canadian Bacon and covered the whole thing with hollandaise sauce.

April 20, 2014 at 5:55 am
  23. grayani

I loved this concept, however, in execution, I could not understand how you could put in the eggs with all of the whites. I trimmed up the whites to the point of using only a quarter. Also, I did use a dark pan – and I oiled it with butter instead of oil. The timing on the potatoes in my toaster oven with a 6 cup muffin pan was great. The eggs, on the other hand, were a perfect hard-cooked (according to my sister), and so if you want an egg basket to look like the one in the picture, I would decrease the time for the eggs to 8 or 10 minutes. I think that this is a wonderful idea and I plan on trying many variations.

April 19, 2014 at 7:46 pm
  24. Barbara

Can’t wait to try these for our Easter brunch!

April 19, 2014 at 9:19 am
  25. AG

I tried these today as a test run before making them for my family for Easter brunch. Thank goodness, because they DID NOT work! The hashbrowns didn’t set and the eggs turned into some weird type of gel. They formed a weird bubbly film on the top too. Definitely do not recommend.

April 17, 2014 at 1:47 pm
  26. Pat Nester

I’m not good on the PC so would have appreciaated a way to ‘print’ this recipe. I do not know how to ‘cut and paste’ either.
    Thanks.

April 9, 2014 at 3:58 pm
  27. Michael Land

Can’t wait to try these. I have done something similar with cubed bread as the base in the muffin tin and breaking the egg over it. These have veggies! I’ll be trying these with a group of youth I’m preparing breakfast for at our church. Thanks. PS. Don’t be concerned that the recipe doesn’t print, it’s easy to save to your face book.

April 4, 2014 at 8:35 am
  28. Katherine

Had no problem cutting and pasting, if I had would have copied by hand, sounds great

April 3, 2014 at 7:38 pm
  29. Egg Cups

[…] snagged this recipe from Cooking Light and they provide a nice little tutorial here if you would like to see it.  It’s pretty easy stuff.   Bake the hash browns in a muffin […]

April 2, 2014 at 11:52 am
  30. Liz

To avoid the shredded potatoes issue (undercooking or not to your liking…or processed…blah blah)…you can use a thin slice of ham or 1 won ton wrapper. These versions don’t get soggy though the wonton ones are best served right away because you lose a little of the crispiness when reheating. I also have done a mexican version like a mini quiche which has squished black beans in the bottom or refried beans, cheese, veggies of your liking (try to limit soggy ones) and then a mixture of eggs/a little milk and a little taco sauce or taco seasoning if you want (as little as they are, the milk added isn’t noticeable). top with cheese. Can’t really mess these up. These tend to keep really well the whole week in the fridge. In addition, you can top these mexican ones with quacemole or just small pieces of avocado if you want. I prefer sour cream, fresh onion, and salsa

April 2, 2014 at 9:06 am
  31. Sharon

I think they sound great! I’ll be trying them Sunday Love being able to sneak vegetables into my cooking

April 1, 2014 at 10:28 pm
  32. Limeade

Brunches & Church Events …
    Make the potato cups in advance, transfer to paper muffin cups for storing, stacking, and reheating.

Use the scrambled egg version that Dee lish mentioned. Cook eggs separately stovetop; can be reheated either in or out of the cups, but keep separate until reheating step to avoid soggy cups.

I like finely chopped chives for garnish (or a touch of pickled jalapeno or smoked salmon … whatever you like!)

March 29, 2014 at 5:00 pm
  33. Limeade

Annie …
    Feel free to make your own hash browns; good luck, mine are nowhere near as good as store-bought. No-one said you couldn’t use “real” food. (BTW, hash browns are simply shredded raw potatoes; however, if you need a recipe: “peel potatoes and then shred on a grater. Press between papertowel to remove excess water.” Hope this recipe is helpful). Don’t complain about recipes; just substitute what works for you. Geez.

March 29, 2014 at 4:14 pm
  34. Gaye Gintner

seriously, who ever is complaining about printing, it has two ingredients, get out your pen!

March 28, 2014 at 10:10 am
  35. Irma

How rude of Ms. Deaver. If you can’t copy & paste, you have no business leaving a kvetch like that.
    Great recipe idea!! I’ll be making these this weekend.

March 28, 2014 at 9:59 am
  36. Ginny Dever

Can’t believe you don’t make this recipe available to print. Unfortunately my computer will not let me copy/paste after highlighting. YOU should have a print option on the recipe. Very frustrating—-do your job for the consumer!

March 26, 2014 at 7:30 pm
  37. Paula

I agree with Annie, real cooks use real ingredients not packaged processed rubbish

March 25, 2014 at 4:27 pm
  38. Annie

It would be nice to make a “real” recipe instead of one that uses processed foods. In Australia we don’t have “refrigerated shredded hash brown potatoes”? The world needs to turn away from that stuff and make things from scratch.

March 25, 2014 at 3:25 pm
  39. Shirley

Has anyone tried to make them ahead of time? I have a baptism lunch I am making and I’d like to just serve. Or maybe I could make the cups and then put the egg in? Any ideas?

March 25, 2014 at 8:57 am
  40. Sol de Dezembro

Reblogged this on Sol de Dezembro and commented:
    This one I will try!
    Looks so yummy and easy!

March 25, 2014 at 8:57 am
  41. Patty

High light the receipe then copy and paste and click on print.

March 22, 2014 at 10:46 am
  42. Dee lish

Love this idea !I would prefer to make this recipe w/ scrambled eggs instead. Please give your formula for this. Super cute!

Thanks!

March 20, 2014 at 10:45 am
  43. Dave Daniels

I am doing an Easter breakfast for church for about 100 people and I would love to try this, but I don’t have enough muffin tins. What can I do? I usually make a strata, but they would love this, God’s colors of Spring!

March 18, 2014 at 6:35 pm
  44. loretta yurkov

how do you print this recipe

March 18, 2014 at 3:59 pm
  45. loretta yurkov

how do you print your recipes

March 18, 2014 at 3:59 pm
  46. Kathy

going to try these this wed. for church night supper…

March 16, 2014 at 8:40 pm
  47. Tricia

What if you make these in a dark non stick muffin pan?

March 14, 2014 at 9:52 pm
  48. tjw6150

Sounds good except it lacks healthy fat!

March 14, 2014 at 1:21 pm
  49. The Mean Nurse RN BSN

Reblogged this on The Mean Nurse and commented:
    Great Saturday morning breakfast…. but we also like breakfast for lunch or dinner. Don’t be fooled by the picture, the “basket” part can be made with a vegetable combination using potatoes, zucchini, beets and carrots. I’ll definitely be making these and absolutely recommend them for healthy eating!

March 13, 2014 at 9:18 am