Update: Starbucks rethinks their new food strategy

April 1, 2014 | By | Comments (19)
starbucks-tomato-tart-web

Starbucks’ new Tomato & Cheese Croissant

Starbucks sits on a high throne of coffee supremacy, but they’ve never really been able to capture a market that seems natural to morning caffeine seekers: breakfast. In an attempt to squeeze out a few more bucks from their devoted coffee fans, Starbucks purchased La Boulange, a San Francisco-based artisanal bakery for $100 million in 2012. Late last year, La Boulange and Starbucks began rolling out their new food items one market at a time.

Editor Scott Mowbray tried the new pastries while in New York City, and we took an in-depth look at the new menu’s healthiest options in our January/February issue. It seems, however, that the reviews of the new bakery items weren’t great, so Starbucks is retooling their menu.

Bloomberg News reports that they’re bringing back a few items but keeping some of the news ones: “Starting this week, the company will begin reverting to selling slices of banana, pumpkin and iced-lemon loaf cake — old favorites — in its U.S. stores. Starbucks will be using new La Boulange recipes and existing suppliers to create food that more closely resembles its previous fare.”

What do you think about the new plans to bring back some of the old favorites? If you had given up on Starbucks after the changes, will you be returning? Tell us in the comments.

COMMENTS

1. Tom Adams

The new Lemon Cake is crapola…

The old Lemon Pound Cake is devine…

April 14, 2014 at 5:57 pm
  2. Bryan

Don’t care what they bring back, I’m done with Starbucks. It was offensive that the food shrank overnight while the prices bloomed. And the notion that customers should soil themselves in excitement over the fact that “now served warm!” was asinine and an insult to our intelligence.

I’ll be curious to see how the “return” of old favorites pans out, considering even those will have new recipes.

April 3, 2014 at 8:46 am
  3. CoffeeGrl

All of the new pastries are terrible! Miss all the old items. Luckily they kept the spinach and feta wrap or I would be without breakfast. REALLY, REALLY, REALLY miss their old chocolate chip cookies. The new ones are half the size and taste awful!

April 2, 2014 at 10:40 am
  4. Datch

Their pastries/food were terrible before their partnership with Le Boulange, and just as terrible after. I’m convinced that coffee must deaden the tastebuds, if those scones and breads are deemed tasty, much less edible. There are so many wonderful places to get great quality pastries and baked goods….why wouldn’t they partner with one of those? Or better yet, get local/regional, and partner with small baking businesses in each locale, supporting They would be supporting small, local business, and would be improving their offerings!

April 2, 2014 at 6:35 am
  5. Kathy

I love the spinach feta wraps, they are a healthy and delicious option. I do hope they keep those. More healthy options would also be appreciated. I love the scones but don’t eat them.

April 2, 2014 at 6:11 am
  6. Debbie

Pumpkin bread is my all time favorite. I splurge when I go to my store to get a bag of coffee for home – and while we thought pumpkin bread was going to be leaving – we bought a bunch and froze it, seriously good stuff. I’m very glad Starbucks is keeping it. And just for future reference, love the Spinach wraps – YUM!!

April 2, 2014 at 3:40 am
  7. kae

I really hope they keep the spinach feta wrap with egg whites! Totally a healthy option. It’s a favorite!

April 1, 2014 at 11:25 pm
  8. Terri Storter

I want the AMAZING super healthy salads and fruit and cheese trays they have in the Seattle stores here in Alaska. I would eat lunch there a few times a week if they did. I don’t eat any of the sweet high carb options they have here. Which is all they have!

April 1, 2014 at 10:41 pm
  9. Betty carson

Glad they are going back to original! Of course I will give them another try. love Starbucks!

April 1, 2014 at 9:30 pm
  10. eatreal

I think Starbucks is a huge part of the populations obesity issue and bad health. Noone used to NEED a latte before starting their day or consider a Lowfat blueberry coffee cake, breakfast. Its cake people. You are suckers who spend a large percentage of your paycheck to pad theirs. They are smart marketing and business folks, you gotta give em that.
    eat real whole food if you want to feel alive, eat starbucks if you want to feel like crap. its simple, a lot of peoples guage for feeling good is off….feeling like crap is the new norm. Sad.

April 1, 2014 at 8:46 pm
  11. dot

never eat there as there are no gluten, or dairy free options

April 1, 2014 at 7:00 pm
  12. mapkins

We have missed the banana nut bread and some of the other favorites….good news!

April 1, 2014 at 6:56 pm
  13. Katie

They need to get with the times and offer healthy, organic food choices and organic milk options.

April 1, 2014 at 6:30 pm
  14. Sandra

I want all the scones back all the treats & get rid of new ones. I still coffee but I stopped buying sweets. I used to buy one a day not any more & i know that my friends & at work also stopped buying them since you swicht. Who’s idea was this? Ask your consomer next time since we are the ones that are buying & fire the person that tbought it for whatever intent they have in their mind. BAD MOVE!

April 1, 2014 at 5:40 pm
  15. Carrie @ poet in the pantry

I like the La Boulange stuff, especially the savory squares (which, I probably shouldn’t admit, end up being lunch every couple of weeks or so). I’ll be sad if those go.

April 1, 2014 at 5:15 pm
  16. Catherine McHugh

As long as you keep yogurt on the menu, I will be fine!

April 1, 2014 at 5:09 pm
  17. Robin

I wish they would ditch the breakfast food aside from pastries. It holds up the line, and the stores now smell like burnt eggs and cheese all the time instead of delicious ground coffee.

April 1, 2014 at 4:39 pm
  18. Jeri

So disappointed in the new breakfast turkey bacon sandwich it tastes like ham. The old one was so much better. I stopped buying breakfast there.

April 1, 2014 at 4:31 pm
  19. alicia

I really liked the new stuff. I hope they keep the muffins and egg based sandwiches.

April 1, 2014 at 4:19 pm