Vegetarian Week: Brussels Sprouts and Sunchoke Salad from Chef Aaron Woo of Portland’s Natural Selection
Standing out from the chef crowd is no simple feat in a food centric city like Portland… of course, there’s a reason Chef Aaron Woo landed our 2013 Trailblazing Chef Award for Produce Innovation. Since 2011, Woo has been consistently raising the bar for vegan and vegetarian cooking at his Oregon eatery, Natural Selection. In each four-course prix fixe menu served at his restaurant, Woo demonstrates a sincere dedication to boosting flavor intensity with exciting and fresh combinations of ingredients. That dedication is delectably illustrated in this Brussels Sprouts and Sunchoke Salad with Pine Nuts, Green Olives, Orange, Parmesan, and Lemon Cream. Woo claims this as one of his favorite dishes as it is infinitely adaptable according to the season and what ingredients you have on hand.
Brussels Sprouts and Sunchoke Salad pine nuts, green olives, orange, Parmesan, and lemon cream
4 cup shaved Brussels sprouts—thinly on a mandolin
2 cup baby arugula leaves, or other spicy greens
2 lg. sunchokes/Jerusalem artichokes
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
1 cup golden raisins
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup green olives, pitted, coarsely chopped
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan
1 cup lemon cream (recipe below)
1. Bring the apple cider up to a simmer, pour over golden raisins, cover, refrigerate until cool, then strain from liquid.
2. Remove the skin of the oranges with a knife. Either segment the orange, or slice crosswise into1/4” slices, then quarter the slices.
3. In a mixing bowl, toss shaved Brussels sprouts, pine nuts, golden raisins, green olives, S+P.
4. Using a mandolin, thinly shave the sunchokes into the mixing bowl.
5. Add the lemon cream, toss gently until well incorporated. Adjust seasoning/
6. Add baby arugula, toss gently, place in a mound in the center of plates.
7. Add the orange segments or sliced quarters on and around the salad.
8. Finally, grate fresh Parmesan over each salad before serving.
1 Tablespoon minced fresh shallot
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1Tablespoon Meyer lemon zest, finely grated
3/4 cup Meyer lemon juice
1/2 cup champagne vinegar
1 cup EVOO
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1. In a blender, put shallot salt, lemon zest, and champagne vinegar. Let rest for 5 minutes.
2. Add black pepper, and lemon juice. Turn blender on medium speed.
3. In a steady stream, drizzle EVOO into the blender to emulsify.
4. In a steady stream, pour heavy whipping cream into blender to emulsify. Once well blended, taste, and adjust seasoning. Refrigerate until use.