Cheesy Cauliflower Biscuits

cheesy-cauliflower-biscuits

Think back on the days of the restaurant bread basket—endless amounts of bread with butter or olive oil delivered to your table as soon as you sat down. I have to admit; I miss the days of free biscuits, bread sticks, hushpuppies, and all other carb-heavy appetizers. Luckily for our health though, many restaurants have nixed the basket of bread entirely, or have it as an option.

biscuits-2

In a quest to create a healthier biscuit for my pre-dinner snack, I found a perfectly portioned bite that is entirely gluten-free and less than 25 calories per biscuit. They might be small, but these little cheesy cauliflower biscuits bring a burst of garlicky-cheddar flavor every time you pop them in your mouth. You can serve them as your “bread basket” before dinner or on a platter for a fun appetizer.

The Recipe:

• 1 cauliflower head, leaves removed
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/3 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
  • 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Step 1: Make Mashed Cauliflower
Preheat the oven to 400°F. Steam cauliflower for about 10-12 minutes or until very tender, then transfer to a food processor. Add minced garlic and pulse several times until smooth and creamy.

Step 2: Mix
Transfer mashed cauliflower into a large mixing bowl. Add in two whole eggs, cheddar cheese, Nonfat Greek yogurt, salt and pepper and mix together.

In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff. Then, slowly fold the egg whites into the cauliflower mixture.

IMG_6914

Step 3: Bake
Coat a mini muffin pan with cooking spray of your choice. Then fill the cups to the top with the cauliflower mixture. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown.

Remove from the pan, and set on a cooling rack.

cheesy-cauliflower-3

Makes: 24 small Biscuits. Serving size: 2 Biscuits

See More:

COMMENTS

1. 15 feluri deosebite de a gati conopida – Aflu Online

[…] Iti doresti un alt tip de paine? Aceasta reteta de biscuiti din conopida este un mod perfect de a respecta tradiile de sarbatori fara a adauga kilograme in plus – Cooking Light’s Cauliflower Biscuits. […]

June 21, 2016 at 3:17 am
  2. Our Five Favorite Memorial Day Sides | Cooking Light

[…] sure that gluten-free guests still get to enjoy the meal by putting Cauliflower Biscuits on the table. Fluffy, garlicky, and cheesy, it’s hard to have just […]

May 28, 2016 at 7:00 am
  3. Your Weekly Internet Spoils: Biscuit Edition | Bloggsom

[…] are perhaps in the mood for some non-traditional biscuits, I offer Surprise Cheddar Biscuits, Cheesy Cauliflower Biscuits, or these Savory Butternut Squash and Bacon […]

May 14, 2016 at 11:14 am
  4. MKay

The first time I tried this the “batter” seemed so wet that I thought it would not do well in the muffin pan and so I baked it as a souffle/casserole as someone else commented and it took a very long time but did dry out and firm up well. However the flavor of raw garlic was overwhelming, and I am a garlic fan. Next time I will pre-roast or saute the garlic for a mellower flavor. For this version that I did in a casserole, I then took the leftovers and sliced and fried them like polenta. That was a winner and deadened that raw garlic assault a bit.

May 5, 2016 at 3:27 pm
  5. The Organized Life, May Paint Bucket | the Painted Apron

[…] Cheesy Cauliflower Biscuits from Cooking Light […]

May 1, 2016 at 5:01 am
  6. Carleen

Mine were soft, stuck to the tin but cheesy as I used parmesan (45g) rather than cheddar. I would leave out the garlic next time to ensure the full cheesy flavour comes through and try and dry out the cauliflower a little first too for a less soggy ‘biscuit’. I think it would be nice as a quiche cooked in a big pan.

March 10, 2016 at 3:43 pm
  7. ROT

Made these today. After cookng, they were wetter than I liked. Put them back in the oven on my dryng rack. Turned the oven off and left them in there for an hour. Very good. Next time will wring the cooked cauliflower out in a cloth towel and stir in a skillet to dry even more before making the recipe. Very tasty.

March 10, 2016 at 3:38 pm
  8. ROT

Pulsed the cauliflower in the food processor. Cooked the cauliflower in the ‘ wave for 8 minutes in a pyrex bowl, covered. Squeezed the water out of the cauliflower in a clean, non terry dish towel. Procced as otherwiseor you can dry the cooked cauliflower out in a skillet with a bit of olive oil. There is just too much water in cauliflower to not remove the excess water. This has held true for any of the cauliflower recipes for “bread” pizza dough, etc. The tecipe for cauliflower ” fried” rice is worthy of note.

March 10, 2016 at 7:44 am
  9. FrugalMama

FYI, if you chop the cauliflower in the food processor first (rice-sized pieces), then saute it with a little olive oil (instead of steaming it) and the spices for about 10 minutes (instead of steaming) they come out firmer. I also skipped the muffin tin because I didn’t want to clean it. I just scooped the mixture into a 1/4 cup measuring cup, then unmolded it on a parchment-lined baking pan. Baked as directed and they came out great. (and super-easy clean up!!)

March 8, 2016 at 2:45 pm
  10. jjsobey

It is exceedingly frustrating when food blogs cant be bothered to have printer friendly versions of a recipe.

March 6, 2016 at 3:15 pm
  11. maialalumiere

As several other people have commented, these came out very soft. They were basically too wet. They also stuck to the pan, even though it was oiled. Perhaps the cauliflower needs to drain in a colander first or pressed in a cloth to remove extra moisture.

February 29, 2016 at 2:19 pm
  12. Sally

These are very delicious (though a bit salty). Seems more like cauliflower souffles than biscuits. They were extremely hard to remove from the muffin tray and I’m wondering if anyone has tried cooking them another way? I was thinking of trying one big souffle dish. ??

February 3, 2016 at 11:37 pm
  13. Three Ways to Get the Most From Your Cauliflower (If You Can Even Find Any) | Cooking Light

[…] Cheesy Cauliflower Biscuits […]

February 3, 2016 at 12:25 pm
  14. M Stevenson

Would consider these as a vegetable dish, not a biscuit. Too soft. Needs more cheese

January 27, 2016 at 3:44 pm
  15. Worthytoshare.com – Worthytoshare.com

[…] Cooking Light […]

December 30, 2015 at 7:49 am
  16. 15 Awesome Ways Of Cooking With Cauliflower Which Everyone Should Know!

[…] Cooking Light […]

December 30, 2015 at 7:45 am
  17. 15 Clever Ways To Cook With Cauliflower! | Amazing ideas tips work

[…] Cooking Light […]

December 30, 2015 at 3:51 am
  18. Cheesy Cauliflower Biscuits | Creating Healthy Families

[…] appetizer to serve up at your next dinner party? Or, maybe you’re tired of the same old snacks? Cooking Light transforms traditional biscuits with…cauliflower! They’re entirely gluten-free, only 25 […]

December 16, 2015 at 4:10 am
  19. Cauliflower pizza  | Oh Oh Something Shiny!!!

[…] favorite thing I have tried has been the Cauliflower biscuits.  Those were great.  I don’t have any pictures of them but I do recommend them.  It […]

December 7, 2015 at 12:25 pm
  20. Here Are The 33 Thanksgiving Side Dishes That’ll Get The Guests Coming Back Every Time. This Is Great!

[…] Cooking Light […]

November 22, 2015 at 8:23 am
  21. Carla

Lots of computer mistakes are typically dued to missing or corrupt Windows Computer registry data
    after removing or installing programs.

November 17, 2015 at 7:56 am
  22. Cheesy Cauliflower Biscuits ‹ Hello Healthy

[…] to serve up at your next dinner party? Or, maybe you’re tired of the same old snacks? Cooking Light transforms traditional biscuits with…cauliflower! They’re entirely gluten-free, only […]

November 12, 2015 at 6:29 pm
  23. Game Trail Girl

Here you go Dot – I wanted it too so I did a cut and paste.

Cheesy Cauliflower Biscuits

The Recipe:
    • 1 cauliflower head, leaves removed
    • 3 garlic cloves, minced
    • 1/3 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
    • 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
    • 2 eggs
    • 2 egg whites
    • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
    • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Step 1: Make Mashed Cauliflower

Step 2: Mix

Step 3: Bake
    Remove from the pan, and set on a cooling rack.

Makes: 24 small Biscuits. Serving size: 2 Biscuits CALORIES 51; FAT 2.5g (sat 1.3g, mono 0.8g, poly 0.2g); PROTEIN 4.4g; CARB 3.2g; FIBER 1.0g; CHOL 36mg; IRON 0.4mg; SODIUM 227.5mg; CALC 56mg

November 11, 2015 at 11:39 am
  24. Game Trail Girl

Same question – do they freeze well?

November 11, 2015 at 11:32 am
  25. Dot

Can I freeze these?

November 11, 2015 at 6:53 am
  26. Carol

would like to print out the recipe…. I don’t see any means of doing that….

October 29, 2015 at 2:46 pm
  27. Monica

Love these little treats. We added some Mozzerella and a little extra Cheddar. Total cheese was probably 1 cup. EVERYBODY I’ve served these to loves them.

October 18, 2015 at 4:07 pm
  28. Ann Harwood

No way could I call these biscuits, very soft texture, more like a mini quiche. Would add more cheese to mine in the future. Would make them as a savoury snack for a party but not as a biscuit.

October 18, 2015 at 10:26 am
  29. Kathy

ok dumb question….but with all the cooking of this cauliflower. Doesn’t it kill the nutrients???

October 12, 2015 at 2:53 pm
  30. cindy

the flavor was nice, but they were closer to pudding consistency than biscuit consistency. Perhaps my cauliflower was too big. It might be helpful to know how many cups of blended cauliflower is “right”

October 10, 2015 at 10:38 pm
  31. Wow, it has been quite a ride the past few weeks. | The Solo Foodie

[…] Cheesy Cauliflower Biscuits from Cooking Light […]

October 10, 2015 at 11:34 am
  32. Miriam Schmidt Fairchild

These were entirely too salty to eat. The texture and other flavors were very nice, but nobody in my family could finish one because of the saltiness. One teaspoon of kosher salt was too much and I think I’ll try the recipe again and completely omit the salt.

October 9, 2015 at 10:01 am
  33. ro

They sound very nice, I will make these and I think I might use a small ice cream scoop and just cook them on a tray if they are hard to get out of the mini muffin pan. Will that work?

October 9, 2015 at 1:54 am
    • Zonia Wynns

I don’t think they will scoop well. I think they will spread flat on a cookie sheet.

October 9, 2015 at 4:00 pm