Grab-and-Go Oatmeal Breakfast Jars

March 12, 2015 | By | Comments (12)

mason-jars-final

We all know that breakfast is one of the most important meals of the day. If you take part in an intense cross-training or a sprint-interval workout in the early morning, breakfast becomes a vital part of your day. That’s because eating breakfast after a workout helps replenish and restore the energy you used during your training. For me, the trick to keeping me full after burning so many calories is finding the right breakfast.

My trick? Oatmeal jars. I can pack several on the weekend and grab one on my way out the door in the morning. When I get to work, I fill the pre-made oatmeal jar with 3/4 cup of water, microwave for 2-3 minutes in 30-second intervals, stir, wait about 3-5 minutes to cool, then devour. The ingredients listed below work well because they are shelf-stable, taste great, and pack in antioxidants, protein, and whole grains—the perfect post-workout mix.

The Basic Recipe: Makes 1 serving

• 16 oz wide mouth canning jar
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats
  • 1/4 cup freeze dried berries
  • 1 tablespoons dried coconut chips
  • 1 tablespoon slivered almonds
  • 1 teaspoon chia/flaxseed mix

CALORIES 271; FAT 10.2g (sat 0.37g, mono 2.2g, poly 1.6g); PROTEIN 8.7g; CARB 38g; FIBER 7.2g; CHOL 0mg; IRON 3.7mg; SODIUM 2.6mg; CALC 78.6mg

If you’re looking for a different flavor profile, you could also throw in the following instead: 1 tablespoon of PB2 with 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, 1 tablespoon of nuts with 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, 1/2 cup of freeze dried bananas with 1 tablespoon of nuts. Have any more suggestions? Tell us in the comments below!

See more: Oatmeal Recipes

You can also find this recipe on the Cooking Light Diet.

COMMENTS

1. The Lazy Girl’s Guide to Breakfast—Overnight Oats | Cooking Light

[…] Grab-and-Go Oatmeal Breakfast Jars […]

February 13, 2016 at 8:00 am
  2. Dang! These Coconut Chips Are Good! | Cooking Light

[…] grabbing a handful and enjoying them alone, they also make a great toppers for breakfast quinoa, oatmeal jars, Greek yogurt, frozen yogurt, waffles, pancakes, fruit salads, soups, salads and more. Grab bag […]

January 29, 2016 at 8:00 am
  3. 5 Ways With Our Overnight Apple Butter | Diet for Beauty

[…] Soak: Ideal for cozy mornings, our Oatmeal Breakfast Jars could use a kick of spice. Add a tablespoon or two for a quick, comforting fall […]

October 21, 2015 at 5:06 am
  4. 5 Ways With Our Overnight Apple Butter | Cooking Light

October 20, 2015 at 8:00 am
  5. Rustyfred

To add extra protein, add 1/4 cup nonfat dried milk.

October 5, 2015 at 7:55 pm
  6. Rebecca Longshore

Jo Evans—I store mine in the pantry or at work.

March 16, 2015 at 10:44 am
  7. jo evans

Where do you store them before you grab them?

March 16, 2015 at 8:13 am
  8. Lisa

The oats get softer and take less time (and mess) to cook if you soak them first, so I add soy/almond milk either the night before or before I leave for work. Love the idea of assembling everything else well in advance, though.

March 14, 2015 at 1:28 pm
  9. Rebecca Longshore

bethanyseeley and Lunne—those both sound amazing! I’ll have to try those next.

March 13, 2015 at 11:33 am
  10. bethanyseeley

How about dried apples and cinnamon?

March 13, 2015 at 10:42 am
  11. Lunne

This is a great idea, thanjs. My favorite is with walnuts, sunflower seeds & sweetened dried dadates. Will try this weekend.🙂

March 13, 2015 at 10:04 am
  12. janicedoty

I love the overnight oats personally but I think this would be a perfect option for work!

March 12, 2015 at 8:04 pm