The Biggest Loser isn’t inspiring. It’s humiliating.

April 13, 2015 | By | Comments (10)
Credit: Sacramento Bee / Contributor

Credit: Sacramento Bee / Contributor

When The Biggest Loser is back with new episodes, I avoid the TV like it has the plague. I’ve never watched an entire episode of the reality show, which is currently casting for its 17th season. I don’t own any products connected with the television show or its personalities. That’s because I do not like The Biggest Loser. Not even one bit.

My reason is very simple: The Biggest Loser is not helpful. It’s hurtful and humiliating for the contestants and for everyone who is struggling with their weight.

The reality show, which started in 2004, purports to help morbidly obese individuals lose weight in a dramatic way. You’ve probably seen images of the winners as they stand up in front of their fellow contestants and weigh in. (It reminds me of the way you weigh livestock at an auction. They act like these people aren’t humans, I’ve thought to myself.)

In the years since the competition began, the show has become a multimillion-dollar brand, producing myriad weight loss-related products from protein powders to exercise DVDs. It’s a business now, not just a show, and it’s successful. Very successful.

But to what end? Last year, one winner lost more than 60 percent of her body weight during the competition. When she came out to take her victory lap, she was pelted with questions and accusations. There was no way she was healthy, critics said. My thought: How has any of this been healthy?

Contestants’ bodies don’t benefit much either. One study found that the profound weight loss dramatically slowed the participants’ natural metabolism–by 504 calories, in fact. That means, thanks to this metabolic impact, participants would still need to eat dramatically fewer calories in their weight maintenance period than a person at the same weight who had not dropped pounds in the dramatic, forceful manner contestants on the show do.

Then there’s the impact on the people who watch it. One study found that shows like The Biggest Loser promote bias and discrimination against overweight and obese individuals. What’s worse, people with lower BMIs who were not trying to lose weight had significantly higher levels of dislike toward overweight individuals after viewing the shows.

So then does the humiliation and shaming directed toward obese people actually motivate them to get healthier? Research says no. “Fat shaming” does no one any good, least of all people who are overweight.

If anything positive can be said about The Biggest Loser, it’s this: It creates conversation. It also allows people like me to say, “That would never work for me, but here’s what has.”

gm-walking-0304p74-l

The biggest thing I’ve learned in this weight loss journey: If it’s not for you, you won’t do it. Photo: David Martinez

Inspired by my colleagues who took part in an experiment we called The Social Diet last year, I’m halfway through my own weight-loss journey. A dramatic weight loss story it has not been. Jillian Michaels would not be proud of how long it has taken me to lose the weight I have.

But you know who is proud of me? Me.

It has never been easy, but it has absolutely been worth it. Humiliation and fat-shaming didn’t make me decide to do this. I wanted to be healthier. I wanted to feel better in my own skin. You can’t quantify how much my self-esteem has grown the way you can pounds lost on a scale. You won’t catch me in a sports bra and shorts on a scale in front of a crowd of people soon either. And that’s OK. This is for me, no one else, as all weight-loss journeys should be.

So tell me: Do you agree? Or do you find these types of shows inspiring?

Join-Cooking-Light-Diet

COMMENTS

1. The Beach-Body Myth Keeps Us Confused, Dissatisfied, and UnhealthyExactly How They Want Us | Buzz Nova

[…] personal trainer. Its just like the Biggest Loser! Have you seen how much weight those people lose? Its so inspiring. (And lets just ignore the fact that their bodies will fight them for the rest of their lives […]

May 10, 2016 at 12:48 pm
  2. Big is Beautiful: Why Tess Holliday is so inspiring to me | Cooking Light

[…] few weeks ago, I shared that I am half way through my weight-loss journey, having lost 50 pounds so far. We shared one of my earlier blog posts on Facebook, one where I […]

May 21, 2015 at 3:00 pm
  3. Karen

I totally agree. Even the few snippets of the show that I’ve seen make me cringe.

April 24, 2015 at 2:20 pm
  4. Lynn

I agree. Two thoughts come to mind: 1) slow & steady gets you there 2) nothing changes if nothing changes.

April 24, 2015 at 6:38 am
  5. DD

I agree! I feel embarrassed for them and I have never watch a whole episode either.

April 24, 2015 at 6:08 am
  6. KLS

It has inspired me to work harder, because these people that are bigger than me are working hard. I have to do better than them.

April 24, 2015 at 5:12 am
  7. sara

I have only watched the show maybe two times. I’m am not, nor ever have been, a fan of “reality” tv. However, I do not place the blame solely on the show. The first season maybe, but there after every contestant knew what they were getting in to. I do not agree with the shows weight loss strategy, slow and steady is always best, however, there would not be a show if there were not viewers. We as a country need to say NO to this reality BS. I am not sure how anyone can watch the show and think that 1) the dramatic weightless is realistic or 2) that the contestants are able to keep the weight off once they leave the compound. It’s a lot like sending a drug addict to a rehab center just to throw them back into the same life style as before. It rarely works.
    I guess my point is, the show will continue as long as there are viewers. With any hope the contestants may learn a little about diet and nutrition. But I will also not feel sorry for them as that is the life they have chosen. I struggle with weight daily, but I don’t blame society or my problems, I blame it on the choices I’ve made, i.e., what I eat and how I exercise.
    I agree there are some medical Conditions that may cause obesity, but for most it is pure laziness and lack of respect for ones body and for that I can not, nor will not, have sympathy

April 23, 2015 at 9:56 pm
  8. Mary Hendley

I completely agree! It took me 3 years to lose 50 lbs., but I changed habits, crushed cravings, and have kept it off with little difficulty for 4 years. I think this show is just sad and exploitative. The program does not give these people tools to change.

April 23, 2015 at 9:50 pm
  9. Dave

I totally agree!!!

April 23, 2015 at 9:23 pm
  10. Joy mitchell

i have never watched. Even the name ‘the biggest loser’ is insulting and the idea of making sport of people because of their body is as unacceptable to me as having a contest to see who can become the whitest.

April 23, 2015 at 9:17 pm