Chocolate marshmallows drizzled with chocolate? Yes, please!
Hands-on time: 50 min. Total time: 2 hr. 50 min.
If you have time, leave the marshmallow in the jelly-roll pan to dry out overnight, uncovered, before cutting. Doing so should make them less sticky and easier to cut. Do not refrigerate the marshmallows; they should not be chilled.
• 1 cup water, divided
• 3 (1/4-ounce) packages unflavored gelatin
• 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
• 1 cup light-colored corn syrup
• Dash of salt
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1/4 cup sifted unsweetened cocoa
• Cooking spray
• 1/3 cup powdered sugar
• 1/3 cup cornstarch
• 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa
• 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1. Pour 1/2 cup water into a small microwave-safe bowl, and sprinkle with gelatin.
2. Combine 1/2 cup water, granulated sugar, corn syrup, and salt in a medium, heavy saucepan over medium-high heat; bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Cook, without stirring, until a candy thermometer registers 250°. Pour sugar mixture into the bowl of a stand mixer; let stand until a candy thermometer registers 210°.
3. Microwave gelatin mixture at HIGH 20 seconds or until gelatin melts, stirring after 10 seconds. With mixer on low speed, beat sugar mixture using a whip attachment; gradually pour gelatin mixture in a thin stream into sugar mixture. Add vanilla. Increase speed to high, and whip mixture at high speed until light and fluffy (about 5 minutes). Reduce mixer to medium speed, and gradually add 1/4 cup cocoa; beat until combined. Using a spatula coated with cooking spray, scrape mixture into an 11 x 7–inch baking pan coated with cooking spray; smooth top. Let stand 2 hours.
4. Sift together powdered sugar, cornstarch, and 2 teaspoons cocoa into a jelly-roll pan. Using an offset spatula coated with cooking spray, remove marshmallow from baking pan; place in powdered sugar mixture. Using scissors well coated with powdered sugar mixture, cut marshmallows into 77 (1-inch) squares. Dust with powdered sugar mixture; shake to remove excess sugar mixture.
5. Arrange marshmallows on a cooling rack placed on a jelly-roll pan. Place bittersweet chocolate in a small microwave-safe bowl; microwave at HIGH 1 minute or until melted, stirring every 20 seconds until smooth. Drizzle melted chocolate over marshmallows; let stand until chocolate is set.
Note: Store the marshmallows in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.
Serves 77 (serving size: 1 marshmallow)
CALORIES 37; FAT 0.4g (sat 0.2g, mono 0g, poly 0g); PROTEIN 0g; CARB 9g; FIBER 0g; CHOL 0mg; IRON 0mg; SODIUM 5mg; CALC 1mg
More Homemade Treat Ideas: