These scones use our homemade Biscuit Mix flavored with bittersweet chocolate and dried cherries. Freeze a batch and reheat by microwaving at HIGH just until warm. Or pop a scone in your toaster oven, and bake at 300° for 10 minutes.
Hands-on time: 7 min. Total time: 25 min.
While chocolate and cherry is a heavenly combination, there are others: Try toasted pecans and dried apricots, diced crystallized ginger and lemon zest, or dried cranberries and orange zest.
• 2 2/3 cups Biscuit Mix
• 1/4 cup sugar
• 1/4 cup chilled butter, cut into pieces
• 1/2 cup dried cherries, chopped
• 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
• 1/2 cup nonfat buttermilk
• 1/3 cup half-and-half
• 1 large egg
• 1 tablespoon nonfat buttermilk
• 2 teaspoons sugar
1. Preheat oven to 425°.
2. Lightly spoon Biscuit Mix into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine mix and
1/4 cup sugar in a medium bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in cherries and chocolate. Combine 1/2 cup buttermilk, half-and-half, and egg, stirring with a whisk; add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist.
3. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead lightly 4 times with floured hands. Divide dough in half. Pat dough into 2 (6-inch) circles on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Cut each circle into 8 wedges, cutting into but not through dough. Brush dough with 1 tablespoon buttermilk; sprinkle evenly with 2 teaspoons sugar.
4. Bake at 425° for 18 minutes or until golden. Serve warm.
Note: Store these scones in zip-top bags in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Serves 16 (serving size: 1 scone)
CALORIES 178; FAT 6.3g (sat 3.7g, mono 1.1g, poly 0.3g); PROTEIN 4g; CARB 26g; FIBER 1g; CHOL 21mg; IRON 1mg; SODIUM 219mg; CALC 89mg