Spiced Apple Hand Pies
Hands-on time: 30 min. Total time: 2 hr. 9 min.
This hand-held version of an American classic will please the taste buds of adults and children alike.
• 1/2 cup sugar
• 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
• 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
• 1 1/2 cups finely chopped Fuji apple
• 1 recipe Homemade Pie Crust
• 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
• 1 egg, lightly beaten
1. Preheat oven to 425°.
2. Combine sugar and next 3 ingredients in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Reserve 2 tablespoons sugar mixture. Stir apple into remaining sugar mixture in bowl.
3. Divide each circle of dough into 6 equal portions. Working with no more than 3 portions at a time (cover and keep remaining portions chilled), shape each dough portion into a ball; flatten each ball into a 3-inch circle on a lightly floured surface. Roll each into a circle about 5 1/4 inches in diameter, adding 1/4 cup flour as needed to prevent dough from sticking. Trim edges with a 5-inch cutter.
4. Place dough circles on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush edges of circles with beaten egg. Spoon 2 level tablespoons apple mixture into center of each circle. Fold dough over filling; press edges together with a fork to seal. Brush with beaten egg; sprinkle evenly with reserved sugar mixture.
5. Bake at 425° for 18 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 10 minutes before serving.
Note: To freeze, place the hand pies in a single layer on a baking sheet after shaping them but before sprinkling with the sugar mixture. Once frozen, transfer them to a zip-top freezer bag, and freeze for up to 3 months. To bake them, place them on a baking sheet, and bake as directed. They may need a few extra minutes
in the oven.
Serves 12 (serving size: 1 hand pie)
CALORIES 243; FAT 9.4g (sat 5.5g, mono 2.4g, poly 0.5g); PROTEIN 4g; CARB 35g; FIBER 1g; CHOL 38mg; IRON 1mg; SODIUM 202mg; CALC 12mg
More Hand Pies: