Here’s a snack for those times when you want salt, sugar, fat, and crunch all in one bite. There’s just enough butter to create a layer of caramel goodness. Peanut butter and sliced almonds provide richness. Make it for yourself or package for gifts.
Peanut Butter Caramel Corn
Hands-on time: 14 min. Total time: 1 hr. 30 min.
• Cooking spray
• 2 tablespoons canola oil
• 1/2 cup unpopped popcorn kernels
• 1/2 cup sliced almonds
• 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
• 2/3 cup light-colored corn syrup
• 2 1/2 tablespoons butter
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 cup natural creamy peanut butter
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 250°.
2. Line a jelly-roll pan with parchment paper; coat paper with cooking spray.
3. Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add popcorn; cover and cook 4 minutes, shaking pan frequently. When popping slows, remove pan from heat. Let stand until popping stops. Uncover; add almonds.
4. Combine sugar, syrup, butter, and salt in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Add peanut butter and vanilla; stir until smooth. Drizzle over popcorn; toss well. Spread mixture out onto prepared pan. Bake at 250° for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Cool completely.
Note: Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
Serves 20 (serving size: about 3⁄4 cup)
CALORIES 155; FAT 7.4g (sat 1.8g, mono 3.5g, poly 1.6g); PROTEIN 3g; CARB 21g; FIBER 1g; CHOL 4mg; IRON 0mg; SODIUM 108mg; CALC 17mg
More Homemade Sweet Treats: