Nutty Whole-Grain Crackers
Hands-on time: 10 min. Total time: 1 hr. 35 min.
These crunchy, nutty crackers are as good with a little peanut butter as they would be with a slice of cheddar or Brie. Three kinds of seeds are ground right into the dough, along with whole-wheat flour and almond meal. If cutting out the crackers with a cookie cutter, don’t gather the scraps and reroll the dough to get additional crackers—they’ll end up tough. Instead, just bake the scraps as they are.
• 4.75 ounces whole-wheat flour (about 1 cup)
• 1/4 cup almond meal
• 1/4 cup pumpkinseed kernels
• 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal
• 2 tablespoons sunflower seed kernels
• 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
• 1 teaspoon onion powder
• 3/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
• 2 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 3 tablespoons water
• 1 large egg, lightly beaten
1. Preheat oven to 275°.
2. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Place flour and next 8 ingredients (through garlic powder) in a food processor; process until seeds are almost completely ground. Add butter and remaining ingredients; process until dough pulls away from sides of processor bowl.
3. Cut 2 (12-inch) squares of parchment paper. Place 1 square of parchment paper on a large baking sheet; place dough in center. Press dough with fingers to form a square. Place second square of parchment paper on top of dough; roll dough into a 10-inch square, about 1⁄8 inch thick.
4. Remove top piece of parchment paper. Cut dough into 25 (2-inch) squares. Separate squares slightly (do not remove from parchment paper). Freeze 5 minutes.
5. Bake at 275° for 1 hour and 5 minutes or until crisp. Cool completely on wire racks.
Note: Store the crackers in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
Serves 25 (serving size: 1 cracker)
CALORIES 60; FAT 4g (sat 1g, mono 1.4g, poly 0.7g); PROTEIN 2g; CARB 5g; FIBER 1g; CHOL 10mg; IRON 0mg; SODIUM 83mg; CALC 9mg