Cheddar Cheese Snack Crackers
Hands-on time: 32 min. Total time: 1 hr. 52 min.
Love Cheese Nips? You’ll be amazed by how closely our recipe mirrors the original. A sharp cheddar gives these crackers a punch of flavor, while the turmeric and red pepper add natural color and a little bite.
• 6.75 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 1/2 cups)
• 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
• 1/3 cup chilled unsalted butter
• 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
• 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
• 1/2 cup water
1. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Place flour and next 6 ingredients (through red pepper) in a food processor; pulse until coarse crumbs form. Add 1/2 cup water through food chute, 1 tablespoon at a time, pulsing until dough forms a ball. Divide dough in half. Press each half of dough gently into a 4-inch circle on plastic wrap; cover. Chill 1 hour.
2. Preheat oven to 375°.
3. Place half of dough in center between 2 baking sheet–sized pieces of parchment paper; keep other half of dough in refrigerator. Roll dough into a 10-inch square, 1/8 inch thick. Carefully remove top piece of parchment paper. Cut dough into 81 (about 1-inch) squares using a fluted pastry wheel or knife. Pierce a hole in center of each square with a wooden pick. Place squares, 1/2 inch apart, on 2 parchment paper–lined baking sheets using a wide thin spatula.
4. Bake each pan of squares at 375° for 20 minutes or until crisp. Transfer crackers to wire racks. Cool completely. Repeat procedure with remaining half of dough.
Note: Store the crackers in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week. Recrisp in a 325° oven for 5 minutes, if necessary.
Serves 27 (serving size: 6 crackers)
CALORIES 58; FAT 3.1g (sat 1.9g, mono 0.8g, poly 0.2g); PROTEIN 2g; CARB 6g; FIBER 0g; CHOL 8mg; IRON 0mg; SODIUM 154mg; CALC 52mg
See More Tasty Cracker Ideas: