Honey-Wheat Buttery Crackers
Hands-on time: 10 min. Total time: 2 hr. 35 min.
Buttery and salty with a slight sweetness, these are the homemade version of the crackers you love. Whole-wheat flour gives them a nutty taste. Make the dough in a food processor, and chill until ready to roll out. Brushing the tops with egg makes the crackers shiny.
• 4.5 ounces whole-wheat flour (about 1 cup)
• 4.5 ounces whole-wheat pastry flour (about 1 cup)
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1 tablespoon sugar
• 1 teaspoon salt, divided
• 1/4 cup cold unsalted butter
• 2 tablespoons canola oil
• 1 tablespoon honey
• 6 tablespoons water
• 1 large egg
• 1 tablespoon water
1. Weigh or lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Place flours, baking soda, sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a food processor; pulse 3 times. Add cold butter, 1 tablespoon at a time, pulsing until coarse crumbs form. Add canola oil and honey; pulse until blended. With processor on, gradually pour 6 tablespoons water through chute, pulsing until dough just comes together. Divide dough in half; shape each half into a flat disc and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill 2 hours or until firm.
2. Preheat oven to 400°.
3. Working with 1 half at a time, roll dough to 1⁄8-inch thickness. Cut out crackers using a fluted round 1 3/4-inch cutter, rerolling dough once. Pierce each cracker decoratively 9 times with the flat end of a 6-inch skewer. Transfer crackers to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper using a thin spatula. Combine egg and 1 tablespoon water in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Brush tops of crackers with egg mixture; sprinkle evenly with 1/2 teaspoon salt.
4. Bake at 400° for 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer to a wire rack; cool completely.
Note: You can store them in an airtight container in your pantry for up to 1 week. The dough can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 1 week or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Serves 18 (serving size: 4 crackers)
CALORIES 98; FAT 4.6g (sat 1.9g, mono 1.4g, poly 0.9g); PROTEIN 2g; CARB 13g; FIBER 1g; CHOL 17mg; IRON 0mg; SODIUM 206mg; CALC 8mg
More Tasty Cracker Ideas: