It may sound impossible, but you can create crispy potato chips without deep frying or even baking. The answer is the microwave. Use a mandoline to slice the potato thin enough to crisp, and then just place the slices on parchment paper and zap until crunchy.
Crispy Potato Chips
Hands-on time: 10 min. Total time: 30 min.
• 1 medium purple sweet potato
• 1 medium baking potato
• 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Cut 1 medium purple sweet potato (about 8 ounces) and 1 medium baking potato (about 8 ounces) crosswise into 1/8-inch-thick slices. Combine 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Add potatoes; toss gently to coat.
2. Cut a circle of parchment paper to fit a microwave-safe plate. Cover plate with parchment paper; arrange purple potato slices in a single layer over paper.
3. Microwave at HIGH for 4 minutes or until potatoes are crisp and begin to brown. Repeat procedure with baking potatoes, reusing parchment paper.
Note: Store these chips in an airtight container or zip-top plastic bag at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Serves 8 (serving size: about 13 chips)
CALORIES 59; FAT 1.7g (sat 0.2g, mono 1.2g, poly 0.2g); PROTEIN 1g; CARB 10g; FIBER 1g; CHOL 0mg; IRON 0mg; SODIUM 89mg; CALC 8mg
More Potato Chip Ideas: