Does Cloud Bread Actually Taste Like Bread?

March 22, 2016 | By | Comments (18)

Is it a pancake? Is it an omelet? Well, it’s both really. We gave this cloud bread a whirl, put a Cooking Light spin on it, and dressed it with sweet and savory toppings to test out all the possibilities. The result? It’s a perfectly- portable gluten-free canvas to hold your favorite toppings.

Warning: It does not taste anything like bread, nor does it have the texture. However, it is a great option to use if you’re wanting that bread-like feeling when you’re craving a sandwich. Because let’s be honest, sometimes the lettuce wraps just don’t cut it.

Most cloud bread recipes that we’ve seen use cream cheese, but Cooking Light‘s Nutrition Editor Sidney Fry wanted to put one of her favorite ingredients, Greek yogurt, to the test. We found we actually preferred the Greek yogurt texture and taste more than cloud bread made with cream cheat. It also cut fat and calories, which is always a plus. The total for one round? Just 32 calories. Now we can get on board with that!

cloud-bread

3-Ingredient Cloud Bread (Makes 5 rounds; Serving size: 1 round)
2 eggs
2 tablespoons 2% Greek yogurt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
pinch of kosher salt

The Toppings:

1. Smashed Avocado + Salt & Pepper
2. Ricotta + Strawberries + Honey
3. Provolone Cheese + Ham

Yield: 5 rounds (serving size: 1 round)
CALORIES 32 FAT 2g (sat 0.7g, mono 0.7g, poly 0.4g) PROTEIN: 3g CARB 0.4g FIBER 0g CHOL 75mg IRON 0.4mg SODIUM 79mg CALC 28mg SUGAR 0.3g

More Fun Foods:

COMMENTS

1. Ruth Ann

Where’s the video with the instructions? Mine says video not loaded.

September 7, 2016 at 4:58 pm
  2. Debbie

The video won’t play and I would like to try it!

September 4, 2016 at 9:12 pm
  3. Bonnie

I used 1 egg, 1T greek yogurt, 1t baking powder, and microwaved for 1 minute. Delicious topped with mash avocado

September 3, 2016 at 12:19 pm
  4. Sooz

I see the three ingredients, but no directions? And the video isn’t loaded….any help? Darn!

September 3, 2016 at 11:45 am
  5. Grace Timmermans

I used baking soda, and it came out light and flaky. The only draw back was mine was a little burned, but it may be my oven or the fact that I used Siggi’s Icelandic yogurt not greek yogurt. (it still tasted good) I googled the difference between baking soda and baking powder and Google says baking soda with yogurt would create more bubbles. (making it light and flaky) Super yummy! I can not eat gluten, and this was the best ham and swiss I have had in a long time.🙂 I am thinking about adding some parmesan Cheese, garlic and basil to my next batch!

April 10, 2016 at 11:34 am
  6. Rachel Nash Perlow

It’s called bread, because it will hold a sandwich together!😉

I switched to using Greek yogurt based on this post (vs cream cheese I had been using from other people’s recipes) and I think it comes out better.

Also, I just experimented with savory toppings (pre-baking). First, sesame seeds. That inspired me to try this everything bagel mix. Fab!

April 4, 2016 at 4:19 pm
  7. I Tried It: Cloud Bread | Smile. Strength. Stretch.

[…] to replace bread. Naturally, I had to give it a try when one of my challengers posted a link to this recipe in our challenge […]

March 31, 2016 at 10:13 am
  8. JoAnn Murphy

500 degrees for fifteen minutes? Mine were burned..Is this correct?

March 30, 2016 at 5:25 am
  9. Diane

would also love a link to be able to print it without all the extra stuff to save ink.

March 28, 2016 at 2:46 pm
  10. Diane

I live at 6000 feet above sea level and have a lot of problems with things not cooking right that I get off the internet, would love to see if it needs to be changed because of this.

March 28, 2016 at 2:45 pm
  11. MomtoMany5

I used cream of tarter, since it wasn’t clear if the ingredients included baking powder or baking soda. Sprinkled the tops with crushed fresh rosemary & sea salt. Very good, but I’d say it seems more like a mini soufflé than bread! Either way, the GF guests tomorrow will have at least one GF item to enjoy with the meat, vegetables, and fruit salad.

March 26, 2016 at 4:51 pm
  12. Rachel Nash Perlow

Are the calories and other nutrition info for the full recipe (not per serving)?

March 25, 2016 at 10:33 am
    • Katie

It has to be the entire recipe… The eggs should only be 140 and the Greek yogurt is about 20. I would guess they are about 40 per.

March 29, 2016 at 8:24 pm
  13. Vanessa

Same question as Colleen. Is it made with baking soda or baking powder?

March 25, 2016 at 9:41 am
  14. Coleen

We made this and liked it very much! (I added some garlic powder) It is an alternative to corn tortillas to make a wrap. Or it could be a sub for pita/Naan bread. It is flexible and while delicate,it holds up to the task! I felt that the texture was fluffy like a white bread, so I understand that part, but I felt it tasted so much better than white bread. I’ve bookmarked it so I can make it again!

March 24, 2016 at 8:58 pm
  15. Soulfullthought

Why is this called “bread”?

March 23, 2016 at 7:55 pm
  16. T

Baking soda or Baking powder. Live view say soda, ingredients says powder.

March 23, 2016 at 3:34 pm
  17. Peyton

That looks good. I am not sure I am going to be able to try all of these recipes that look good.

March 23, 2016 at 9:04 am