Funky, umami-rich fish sauce is the one ingredient we can’t live without. Our favorite brand is Red Boat 40°N Extra-Virgin Fish Sauce. This sauce has amassed a devoted chef following, as well as the Cooking Light Kitchen staff. Red Boat is made with wild black anchovies, sea salt, and a “first press” extraction technique that results in a smoother, rounder flavor and higher protein levels (the mark of the purest fish sauce).
When exploring fish sauce brands, look at the label. There should be only two ingredients: fish and salt. No additional water or preservatives should be added.
Here are twelve ways to use fish sauce in your recipes to get the most out of them.
- Add to burgers or meat loaf.
- Brush over chicken thighs before grilling.
- Whisk into mayo for a dip or sauce.
- Stir into marinara or Bolognese sauce.
- Stir into guacamole.
- Puree into creamy tomato or mushroom soup.
- Whisk into Caesar or ranch dressing.
- Add to pan while caramelizing onions.
- Toss with broccoli florets before oven-roasting.
- Stir into grits before topping with shrimp.
- Add to meaty baked beans.
- Drizzle a dash into gumbo.